<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Prog 839 12/06/93

It’s part eleven of another Armoured Gideon adventure and, uncommon these days in 2000 AD, this episode opens with a page long recap of the story so far. World invaded by demons from other dimension, psychic photographer Frank Weitz switches Armoured Gideon back on, sect of monks resurrect Gideon’s brother Jerubaal, Jerubaal possessed by a sorcerer from elden times, in pursuit of sorcerer is old acquaintance of his with long beard and sword. It took Chris Claremont’s X-Men years before it got this convoluted.

I find myself enjoying and being irritated by Armoured Gideon in equal measure. Part of this is down to my own issues with fiction that over relies on its supernatural element. In these sorts of stories, any old gobbledygook can be employed for the convenience of plot as far as I’m concerned and I don’t always find it easy to just sit back and accept it. I’m not necessarily saying that writer John Tomlinson is doing this as my own prejudices have stopped me from giving in to Armoured Gideon as fully as I should. If it’s any consolation, I can’t engage with Harry Potter for exactly the same reason.

Simon Jacob’s art is the strip’s real appeal for me. It’s colourful and kinetic. There’s a great double paged image this episode where all the world’s demons are being sucked into the vortex conveniently created by Gideon and Jerubaal. Brilliant. It seems odd to me that he isn’t more highly regarded. Whatever happened to him, I wonder.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • I really liked the mash-up of magic and steampunky technology in AG. A fun strip with a cool aesthetic.

    By Blogger Joe, at 3:04 pm  

  • It's fun, that's for sure. And irritating :-)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home