<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Prog 830 10/04/93

This week’s free gift is an Official 2000 AD Writers’ Starter Kit or, as it more widely known as, a pencil. Why it can’t be an artists’ or letterers’ starter kit also, I don’t know. It reminds me of a Christmas where I got given a single pencil, wrapped up as a gift. I love the free gifts Tharg has been giving away recently. On the one hand, they are completely what Squaxx dek Thargo want, like 2000 AD postcards and stickers, but on the other, they seem quaint when compared to the great, clunking lumps of plastic that fall apart within ten minutes of being opened kids get for free with their comics in 2009.

Kelly’s Eye finishes a ten episode run this prog. Like I said yesterday, this thrill has had the disadvantage of having been read by me with a break in the middle. I don’t imagine that we see the return of this strip to 2000 AD in the future as the rights to the character aren’t owned by Fleetway and Tharg never had permission to use it in the first place. Oops. Kelly’s Eye is drawn by the mighty Brett Ewins who, since the latest re-launch, has also been drawing Bad Company Kano as well. That’s at least twelve pages of Ewins goodness a week. It’s hard to imagine getting at least half that output from Ewins a year these days.

Labels: , , , , , ,

12 Comments:

  • And i still have that pencil :)

    By Blogger Blitzspear, at 10:00 pm  

  • Funnily enough, I caught side of one in a penholder thing at my mum's last weekend. Don't think it's ever been sharpened.

    By Blogger Peter, at 10:51 pm  

  • Kids buy comics in 2009?

    By Blogger horace goes skiing, at 9:37 am  

  • Have nothing more useful to say than Yep my pencil is at home unsharpened also. I think there's bit of the red paint that are wearing a bit thin. Maybe its time to put it to use?

    By Blogger Colin, at 11:17 am  

  • I have mine too, unsharpened and reddy to hand down to the next generation. it will become an heirloom

    By Blogger Steve Denton, at 9:30 pm  

  • Blitzspear, so do I :-)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:22 pm  

  • Peter, maybe your Mum belives it to be a collectable.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:22 pm  

  • Horace, I was refering to those cheaply produced mags on the bottom shelf that usually feature a small amont of comic content and have a heavy piece of junk taped to the front.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:23 pm  

  • Colin, did you deliberately not use it or just throw it into a pencil case and never got around to it?

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:24 pm  

  • Good God Steve, we all still have the prencils! How sad is that?

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:25 pm  

  • I broke mine stabbing a vampire through its black, black heart.

    Okay, I still have it. Unsharpened. Close by.

    By Blogger Mark, at 12:58 pm  

  • I've decided to use mine the next op I get... For writing (not drawing)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home