<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Monday, May 25, 2009

Prog 828 27/03/93

There’s nothing quite like a re-launch issue. This prog, all stories start from the beginning except for Kelly’s Eye. I’m already struggling to remember exactly what’s happening in it thanks to having been away for a while reading The Megazine. I think the indestructible man is working as a body guard for Marianna Trench who is experiencing continuous attempts on her life by her super rich husband’s goons.

Another consequence of returning to 2000 AD from reading a run of The Megazine is it’s more clear how much better the weekly is. Even though The Megazine has the advantage of John Wagner written Judge Dredds, 2000 AD has no filler pages, the art is better, the strips more immediate and diverse and the overall design aesthetic is superior. Plus, it’s half the price. I’m surprised to hear myself saying all of this considering some of the entries I’ve made about “The Slide” of the last few years. Could it be that things are back on track at Tharg’s house?

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • There's some great stuff coming up in the issues you're about to read and without spoiling things when 'Firekind' gets a bit confusing break with prog slog traditional and skip ahead as an error meant that they didn't print one whole part of the story and only sorted it at the end of the strips run.

    Also I remember a while back I said that in the Universal Soldier story that reintroduced Kelly's Eye they had some pretty dumb cliff hangs for a story about an indestructible fella and you couldn't remember what I meant. Well its cos it was a number of the cliff hangers from Kelly's Eye

    By Blogger Colin, at 3:13 pm  

  • Thanks for the Firekind advice. I don't know if the spirit of The Slog requires me to read it our of order/as it was published...

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:37 pm  

  • Could it be that things are back on track at Tharg’s house?Well, Firekind started this Prog so at least that much is right with the world.

    By Blogger Peter, at 10:52 pm  

  • A pretty good line up of stories. I have zero memory of the kano story though, none of the post Bad Company 2 stories make much impact on me.

    Firekind was one of the most accessible stories Smith ever did. This is what happens when a tharg says to John Smith "Do me something with dragons in it".

    Its still typically smith in that its a bit of a mindf**k, the unfortunate scheduling goof by the editors/printers just made it all the more mysterious

    By Blogger Derek, at 7:21 pm  

  • Peter, Firekind seems to be a good thrill so far.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:26 pm  

  • Derek, after Colins warning I looked through the future progs to see if I could identify where the cock-up occurs and I can't. I think I'm gonna have to experience the mistake as we all did at the time.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home