<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Monday, May 04, 2009

Judge Dredd The Megazine 2.10 05/09/92

The Megazine has a format change this issue and goes for the squarer shape used by 2000 AD. I don’t know why this was decided but I presume it’s because they want any future cross-overs that occur, like Judgement Day, to be the same shape so collecting them into books later is easier. Or maybe, there is a lot of this paper lying around the office at the moment.

They have done away with the mock newspaper pages that told you what you have just read in the main features and replaced them with “Status Reports”. These are pages which appear directly before the strip starts, tells you about the feature and what has gone before. Let me tell you, I really hated these pages then. If you count them up with the house ads, there is enough altogether to make up another strip. It really irked me that we were paying over twice as much for The Megazine then 2000 AD and getting the same amount of strip pages more or less.

I might be answering my own point with this next observation. The first indication I had that The Megazine isn’t doing as well as I imagined occurred around this time when my local WH Smiths stopped carrying it. I had to place a special order to ensure getting it every fortnight.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • It seems to me that after the first few issues, the Megazine gained, and has yet to shed the problem of needing to be thicker than 2000 AD, but not having the budget to fill that thicker page count with new strip content. If one is prepared to stomach the price difference, one learns to ignore the filler, although it's an annoying compromise.

    On the other hand, there were certain strips down the line that benefitted from these 'precap' pages as the editor's ability to explain what was going on was often better thah the writer and artist's own efforts...

    By Blogger alexf, at 1:10 pm  

  • You might be right, Alex, but did the recap need a whole page?

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home