<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Winter Special 4 1992

As specials go, Tharg seems to have had a revelation in so far as this years Winter Special is successfully special. There’s no attempt to try and bulldoze the Squaxx dek Thargo into thinking that they should like a Bradley story or a Zippy Couriers adventure or a Judge Hershy instead of a Judge Dredd strip or an appearance by the meathead version of Harlem Heroes. Instead you get what you should; a sixteen paged Nemesis The Warlock, Judge Dredd, a Tharg story and an ABC Warriors spin-off one-off, Blackblood. Now this is zarjaz.

Special notes of interest for you; both Nemesis and Blackblood are written by Pat Mills without Tony Skinner. I don’t want to seem mean spirited but I would say that you can notice the difference. They read slightly more exuberant. Judge Dredd The Squealer is written by John Wagner. I like Garth Ennis but I would say that his version of Dredd reads like he’s worked hard at it. Wagner’s version has such confidant pacing, timing, brevity and characterisation.

The only nod to contemporary 2000 AD is a new Tales From Beyond Science by Mark Millar and Rian Hughes. (There is a an Indigo Prime text story but I have never read non-strip tales for The Slog, even when covering the first ten years worth). As you know, I like this thrill so am perfectly happy for it to appear here. Well done, everybody.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • I'm not a fan of Mills' Skinner era. Having nudged ahead in my less exacting re-read I've got as far as reading the next Slaine story and while it does have some of Mill's political leanings writ large across it, it feels nowhere near as preachy as the Skinner stories. This might be because its Slaine but it also seems like Mills has remembered how to write an exciting adventure romp.

    So without trying to second guess how you'll find it I hope there's good times ahead on the Mills front for the Blog Slog.

    By Blogger Colin, at 9:15 am  

  • You're ahead? I better get a read-on!

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 4:42 pm  

  • Arh but I'm skipping great chunks AND when I've finished all the other stories I want to read in any given block of 100 progs I go back and read all the Dredd's in one go (not in one sitting you understand, my wife is very tolerant of my nerdery but not that tolerant!).

    You're burden is far greater than mine! I've not had to read a single thing by Fleisher for example. I'm lightweight.

    By Blogger Colin, at 8:43 pm  

  • my first prog - or special, rather

    By Blogger Drhoz, at 9:16 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home