<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Monday, April 06, 2009

Prog 804 10/10/92

I wonder sometimes if I’m a bit too critical of nineties 2000 AD here in The Slog. At the moment it’s pretty good. It’s great to see Flesh back, Luke Kirby is creepy and atmospheric and Zenith is so good that I’ve held off writing about it here because I’m too intimidated by the prospect. New strip Wire Heads could be easier to follow but it’s only two episodes in. Garth Ennis’ version of Judge Dredd is okay although the character seems overly keen on cutting everyone including colleagues, perps, victims and Chief Judges to the quick. Also, I’ve noticed where once Dredd wore an intimidating scowl, now his jaw looks like a great clunking deformity that he should probably go to the face changing clinic to get sorted out.

Clearly, 2000 AD is aimed for the older reader now. Once it ran ads for ice lollies, now it runs them for the electric shavers. The comic’s product range is now so large that it needs an older reader to be affluent enough to sell it to. Currently advertised are two reprint monthlies, two yearbooks, a fortnightly, six graphic novels, a t-shirt, a sweatshirt, badges, mugs and the database which was previously given away free with prog 750 but is now selling for £11.00.

It’s an interesting period for the galaxy’s greatest comic; hard to imagine ever arriving during its first ten years and hard to remember happening now in 2009. Right now, it seems understood that if a line of successful accessories is going to continue to generate income then their source needs to be the focus of everyone’s creative efforts. I still feel that aging the target audience is a mistake but, at the moment, there has been no swear words (unless you count “bloody”) and no one’s been walking around with their genitals exposed so it still feels relatively young at heart to me.

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • I read an interview with Morrison after phase I of Zenith came out, (in the late, lamented ARK magazine) and he mentioned Phase IV was mostly inspired by the Monty Python Bicycle Repair Man sketch. Haven't ever seen this and too lazy to visit youtube though so don't know if it's actually true.

    By Blogger Tam, at 5:13 pm  

  • I'm currently about to getting going again on the next stage of my own 2000ad re-read at the 800s (as I've said before very different process to the Prog Slog) and having looked through the issues to come there's certainly a lot to look forward to. I sometimes think there's a great danger of getting very misty eyed with 2000ad about your favourite era whatever that might be (for me its the 500s, which I don't think Paul would agree with?!?!) and lose sight of the fact that with 2000ad one of its greatest strenghts as an anthology is that even during the periods you don't enjoy there is always something to keep you going and which reminds you of now great the comic has been over the years. Sure its changed and developed but I'm lucky as I'm from a generation who's grown pretty much in line with the comic.

    Mind I'm saying this with the 900s approaching a period that made me drop 2000ad again for what was then the first time in 11 years!

    By Blogger Colin, at 8:33 am  

  • Tam, I've sen the sketch and I don't recall any many angled, multi-dimensional beings appearing in it but i could be wrong.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:14 pm  

  • Colin, let's let the 900s look after themselves for the moment. :-) Actually, I'm okay with the first 50 or 60 of the 500s, it's after that it all starts to go wrong.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home