<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Thursday, April 02, 2009

Prog 800 12/09/92

There’s nothing quite like a re-launch prog and, well, I’m not too sure that this qualifies as one. Tharg says that it is but I disagree and besides, I don’t feel that he’s entirely trust worthy these days. Only three of the strips are new stories, Zenith and Robo-Hunter continue from last prog.

It is prog 800 and it does have a free gift, however. The gift is just a mini booklet stapled to the cover featuring cold stats about all of the thrills that have appeared in 2000 AD up until this point bar Judge Dredd. If I had known that this is the sort of thing that Squaxx dek Thargo actually want then I would have just listed stats in The Slog and saved myself a lot of trouble. (Incidentally, at the request of regular commenter Derek, I’ve started to include the prog date in The Slog entry titles as well as the issue number).

The new strips are the reappearance of Luke Kirby in The Night Walker, the unexpected return of Flesh in The Legend of Shamana and Judge Dredd in The Marshal. Artist Sean Philips paints this story and although he draws Dredd a little too informed by body builder physicality his interpretation is stunning. It’s satisfying to see this guy who has worked on so many other strips for various Fleetway publications over the years get his teeth into a decent Judge Dredd at last.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • I have to admit that the mini booklet was remarkably useful for this young Squaxx dek Thargo, especially when it came to details about the very earliest issues of the comic, many of which I still have never been able to get hold of.

    Plus, you know, I was a particularly nerdy teenager who liked to know exactly how many issues Meltdown Man ran for, or how many Judge Dredd episodes Bolland drew.

    That sort of information is a few clicks away in this glorious day of the internet, but back in those days, a mini booklet was worth its weight in cold stats.

    By Blogger Bob Temuka, at 4:05 am  

  • Have to agree that when I first got this the mini booklet guide thingie where great. Although at the time it did just leave me hankering for the issues I didn't have or had thrown away in the folly of youth.

    Oh and I love me some Sean Phillips and while I agree he does start (was he the first to do this? Maybe Liam Sharpe???) the beefing up Dredd thing I'm more than prepared to forgive him that.

    By Blogger Colin, at 8:33 am  

  • I totally understand, Bob. Had I been younger at the time, I would have liked it too.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:50 pm  

  • Normally, I don't like a beefed up Dredd, Colin, but somehow Philips gets away with it.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:52 pm  

  • I really like sean Phillips work in general but i have never liked his Dredd.He seems to be abel to paint all the other judges perfectly well and his Judge helmets in the night time rain are really something to behold but his Dredd falls flat for me. The pumped up look (probably started by Simon Bisly) leaves him looking naked but painted blue. there is no real effort to show material and I feel he never got dreads chin. it's always kind of blank and lacks the iconic power it needs. I love his lighting his mega city one and his depiction of pretty much everything except Dredd himself.

    By Blogger Steve Denton, at 10:18 am  

  • Steve, that's a good and reasonable assesment of his art, I would say. Like I say, I can accept certain Dredd exagerations from Philips that I'm unwilling to from other artists.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 4:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home