<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Friday, March 13, 2009

Prog 790

ABC Warriors Khronicles of Khaos Book Two ends this prog with a big party followed by all the robots lying around with hangovers. I thought droids drank oil when they wanted to let their cables down but now, thanks to Deadlock’s teaching in the ways of chaos or to artist Kevin Walker, they drink Pina Coladas. I must admit, I’ve not been a hundred percent engaged in the story. This could be down to the wearying affects of The Slog but those moments I was alert for I enjoyed.

Last prog, the Warriors completed their mission and collected seven severed heads for the planet of chaos, Hekate. These heads, belonging to a tax man, a chaplain, a tycoon, a scientist, a politician, a colonel and “the emperor of order himself”, could have done with being contemporised a bit and including a tabloid journalist, a reality TV producer and my boss (if I had a job, that is). This prog, Deadlock seems established not just as spiritual leader of the team but as actual leader as well. When he tells them what to do Hemmerstein replies, “Swivel, baby”. Deadlock could have commented on his idea of chaos being influenced by early episodes of Happy Days in some way, but instead seems outraged saying, “What? How dare you question my orders?” Later, Deadlock congratulates the warriors on “passing the final test”, as if Hammerstein rebelling is what he had planned for all along now that the entire team has mutinied as well.

Sometimes Khronicles of Khaos has felt too educational, even preachy, so it’s been the character moments that I’ve really perked up for. Like when Joe Pineapples became a transvestite or Deadlock admits that Ro-Jaws is the true master of chaos. Despite my moments of inattention, I feel that it’s right for the ABC Warriors to have a presence in 2000 AD and I’m pleased that this story exists.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • I've read this very recently too and have to be honest I found it pretty infuriating. I love PAt Mill's work but the smug preaching of 'choas' or 'khoas' is for me him at his worst.

    The 'Principals of Khoas' seem like a childish attempt to have an opposite character, an uninteresting and humourless 'Oscar the Grouch'. Sure it takes a stab at humour but it wears thin pretty quickly. It would seem that choas is simply doing the exact opposite of what the laws of order would seem to demand. Well unless it’s convenient to the plot for this not to be the case. This of course has it own innate order to it. Sure it’s reversed but simply reversing the status quo’s order does not give you chaos, rather an impractical and childish order.

    On top of that Kevin Walkers colour work while nice and shiny isn’t too inspiring. I don’t know but maybe Tony Skinners having a bad influence on Pat and Pat’s mum should stop him hanging around with such a bad crowd?

    By Blogger Colin, at 10:42 am  

  • Hi Colin. It does seem to be a simplistic interpretation of chaos, you're right. As for Tony Skinner - I've tried to resist the temptation to paint him as the bad influence in their writing partner ship, particularly as Mills was going down this road before teaming up with him. (See nemesis the Warlock, Third World War etc).

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:39 pm  

  • Paul - Pat mills met skinner while researching Third World War so there was definitely an influence there.

    I'll come right out and say it that Skinner was a bad influence. Before him Mills was doing great stuff like The Horned God and Marshall Law, after him he was doing Khronicle of Kobblers, Finn and Slaine bumbling about with boudica and other tat.

    It was only when he gave skinner the heave ho that he got back to good stuff like Nemesis book 10 and Savage.

    By Blogger Derek, at 11:25 pm  

  • I don't think it's fair for Skinner to take the majority of the blame here, Derek. Like I said, some of those nemesis stories after Talbot aren't as good as they could have been and, as far as I know, Skinner was nowhere to be seen. Besides, i quite like Finn.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home