<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Monday, March 09, 2009

Prog 784

Meanwhile, back at 2000 AD. The ABC Warriors are only four episodes into book two of Khronicles of Khaos and already it’s going on a break. A relatively short break but a break nonetheless. Like I’ve said before, these are consequences of running fully painted strips.

Rogue Trooper Apocalypse Dreadnought reaches part 5 and, at the risk of repeating myself again here, I’m not engaging with it particularly well. Once again it’s being written by Michael Fleisher and thanks to the disappointments that he’s delivered in the past I read the words but they just ain’t sinking in. Ron Smith’s art is great though. It has all of the quirky personality that you expect from his work but now with an lavish colour pallet. I wonder if I would be reading this strip at all if it wasn’t for the artist.

Finally, in the interests of full disclosure, I need to tell you that I no longer read most of the Nerve Centre and none of the letters for The Slog. I’m not interested in Ig-Roid’s promotion of related 2000 AD product while the reader’s letters and art have lost their pizzazz. I guess this might be down to the average age of the Squaxx dek Thargo being higher than it was ten years ago. There’s something charming about a ten year old engaging with a shared joke with the editor. It’s a wonder that I even read Tharg’s editorials any more given that he seems to be tiring of the whole process too.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • Hi Paul - loving the blog reading it in New Zealand- I left 2000ad behind at prog 550 or so...
    But I feel a reconnection to it again and have been re-reading some of the classic stuff (although I'm desperate to get my hands on the necropolis saga so if you could help there that'd be great as all the reprints are extortionately priced)
    But I wonder, is there any saga which you've re-read which you've appreciated more this time?
    And as you get closer to the magic 1000, can you see why you moved on from 2000ad - is the fatigue setting in again?

    By Blogger Darren, at 2:28 am  

  • On the subject of Ron Smith. While I love his work I do think he excells at character work. So the Judge Dredd's of his I love are all the citzen driven stories, the Otto Stumps, the Citizen Snorks the Pug Uglies. In many ways the perfect Ron Smith story is the Dave the Orangutan electon strip. He captures real human emotion in the most absurd of circumstances.

    In more action based strips, such as Rogue Troop I think his quality is just wasted and lost and he becomes about awkward poses and interesting but jarring angles.

    I think Ron Smith is a fantastic artist, it just needs to be on the right story and something like Rogue Trooper isn't it.

    By Blogger Colin, at 12:03 pm  

  • Hi Darren, welcome aboard. The sagas I've enjoyed are probably the obvious ones although Necropolis and the lead up to it was better than I remember it being. Keep your eyes on The Case Files series of Dredd books. Necropolis must be scheduled to appear in there sometime over the next year or so. I think I stopped buying 2000 AD before prog 1000. I guess I'll cover why as the slog approaches there.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:29 pm  

  • I agree with you about Ron Smith's character work, Colin but his colour Rogue Trooper art does have a surprising vibrancy to it.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home