<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Prog 780

There’s nothing quite like a re-launch prog, although, according to Tharg, this now happens thrice yearly so, I suppose, now there is. My copy still has the free gift attached which is a “Security Clearance Unit” or, more accurately, one of those cheap wallets you get when you buy a rail card but with a couple of 2000 AD corporate logos printed on it. I guess the guy I bought the collection off of on eBay had outgrown the excitement that accompanies a free gift by this stage. Personally, I seem to remember thinking, “at last, something I can use”, and keeping my cash-point card in it until it fell apart one month later. The last free gift I had any use for were the MACH 1 transfers which I tried to get a sick day off school with.

Next week’s free gift is two ID cards, meant to accompany the SCU given away with this prog. In theory, these sound pretty cool, but in reality, it’s just designs for cards printed on slightly thicker cover stock. They don’t even have perforated edges so you can remove them easily; you have to cut them out with a pair of scissors. Any overseas readers reading this now, let me tell you something; you aren’t missing out. If anything you are better off; at least your cover doesn’t have a big sellotape mark on it.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • Ahh, I still remember being very young and affixing the MACH 1 stickers to all my limbs with some other guys in my class at school.

    Do you remember the Invasion code breaker free gift that was free with a very early issue? I remember accidentally ripping mine up (I was very young and didn't get how to put it together) and then being very jealous when I saw a friend using it proficiently at our church's Boys Brigade. Ah, we'll never see the like again!

    By Blogger dmstarz, at 1:53 pm  

  • I remember really liking this prog, especially the Dredd three-parter. "We used to call that Long Walk Talk, son. You just watch yourself."

    By Blogger Grant, the Hipster Dad, at 3:23 pm  

  • dmstarz, I don't quite remember the code breaker. I do remember fondly the space spinner. I loved that gift.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:35 pm  

  • Grant, particularly strong Ian Gibson artwork as well.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home