<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Prog 756

Big faceless corporations seem to be the common enemy at the moment in 2000 AD. In Rogue Trooper, it’s a big corporation that’s responsible for the war. In Button Man, “The Voices” who sponsor “the game” are the super rich, some of who probably gained their fortunes from running corporations. But the meanest of them all is perhaps the Okay Kola Korporation.

In Kola Kommandos, unassuming office worker Hector Doldrum is being thrown from pillar to post after uncovering illegal animal experiments on a hidden floor of the Okay Kola Korproation’s head office. He’s been fired from his job, dumped in the middle of a war zone by a robot taxi driver and beaten up by a super terrorist’s sidekick.

The thrill is being written by Steve Parkhouse who I usually remember as an artist on strips like The Bojeffries Saga. I sometimes forget that actually my first encountering of his work was as a writer for Marvel UK’s Hulk Comic during the late seventies where he wrote The Black Knight and Night Raven, both strips I loved. For Kola Kommandos however, I don’t feel as if I’m connecting with the story as successfully as I should despite my own personal issues with large corporations. It feels as if the gaps are there due to oversight rather then deliberately existing to create mystery.

I’m curious to know why it is that Parkhouse never seems to both write and draw the same strip. Kola Kommandos is drawn by Anthony Williams whose loose cartoon style gives it a zaney quality. As much as I enjoy his work here, I wonder how much different the strip might be if it were also being drawn by Parkhouse.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • I didn't remember Steve Parkhouse wrote the Black Knight strip (this is the Cap[tain Britain one we're talking about isn't it?) that was great fun. Night Raven is an absolute gem as well.

    For me some of his best work however is the Doctor Who strip he wrote for the weekly then Monthly. There's some fantastic work there.

    By Blogger Colin, at 8:36 am  

  • I loved the opening episode of Kola Kommandoes but from then on I just couldn't get into it. As you say, there seem to be gaps and I got lost around the time the fake Batman and Robin appeared.

    If you hold out a long, long, long time - somewhere in the 1400s I believe - there is a strip written and drawn by Steve Parkhouse, called Tiger Sun, Dragon Moon (which may have been inspired by a certain film...). It's pretty good.

    By Blogger alexf, at 10:54 am  

  • Colin, I enjoyed his early Doctor Who stuff as well but it's all a part of memory thanks to not having seen it for nearly 30 years

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 9:00 pm  

  • Sorry Alex, but the slog isn't scheduled to go that far :-)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 9:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home