<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Friday, March 27, 2009

Judge Dredd Mega-Special 5

After weeks of pointless slaughter in the weekly and the fortnightly, it’s nice to read a more traditional Judge Dredd story written by John Wagner. Joovz ‘n’ the Hood is an inter-block gang warfare tale, the type that he writes so well. It runs for twenty-two pages which, as a reader of American comics, I find aesthetically appealing. Artists Richard Preston and Edmund Kitsune provide an impressive job. It’s a very assured style; like a cross between a Deadline cartoonist and Geof Darrow. As the strip goes on however, the colouring becomes over reliant on oranges and browns and is difficult to see what is going on in places.

Alan Grant writes an anti-drug Anderson:Psi Division story, which you might find amusing if you’ve read Wasted from 2008, which I haven’t, so I don’t. Russell Fox, who has already made his premier in The Megazine, draws it. Fox has an interesting style. If you hold the comic at normal reading distance, his work looks like it’s been done by a very enthusiastic amateur, but if you get up close to it you can see strong characterisation and detail. I like it, and so does Foxy as he seems to sign every other page.

Mark Millar and Steve Yeowell give us a Red Razors short. In it, we learn that Ed was so desperate to get away from his clingy ex-girlfriend that he ran all the way to Russia and had surgery to turn him into a horse. I like Red Razors. Morecambe and Wise make a cameo appearance as hit-men; I can’t help thinking that this is the sort of thing Millar should be doing more often in Robo-Hunter but with robots.

This years Special isn’t bad value for money as it features no reprinted material. Having said that, I miss The Daily Star strips a little, even though I know that they are no longer being drawn by Ron Smith. You just can’t please some people, can you, David Bishop?

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • I know they're not hugely popular, but I loved the Dredd specials. Can't remember this one too clearly.

    From a purely nostalgic point of view, I'd really love it if you could add a dateline for the issue being reviewed - tell me to get lost if you like... just thought I'd suggest it.

    By Blogger Kevin Levell, at 6:32 pm  

  • I'll try to remember to do that in future, Kevin.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 4:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home