<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Prog 759

Max Brewster’s time hanging out with Tim Kelly from the old Kelly’s Eye strips from the 1960s in Universal Soldier The Indestructible Man ends this prog. The story written by Alan McKenzie has washed over me a bit, I’m afraid. All I can remember is that Brewster goes in search of Kelly, finds him, they have a couple of fights together and then it ends. Had I been more familiar with the original Kelly’s Eye then I might have had a frame of reference that made this story feel more exciting to me.

However, McKenzie seems to be very good at writing a script that complements the artist and Brett Ewins comes out of this looking very good. The art on The Indestructible Man is charming and is what really made this run particularly enjoyable.

Unfortunately for Mark Millar, I am familiar enough about Sam Slade Robo-Hunter to know that he’s writing it all wrong, wrong, wrong. I’ve already mentioned the confusion over Slade’s apparent age, haven’t I? There seems to be an obvious absence of robots in Sam’s day to day life too. For example, he has human friends with him on his stag night and a human taxi driver. The real Sam would have been driven home by some crazy ol’ droid after spending a miserable evening with Hoagy and Stogie (who, incidentally, have only made cameo appearances so far).

Anthony Williams’ art on this run has been enjoyable; all loose and cartoony, but Millar seems to be writing a different strip altogether that’s then been forced through a Sam Slade shaped gauze. The result, unlike the Harlem Heroes and Rogue Trooper reboots, doesn’t make me cross or fill me with dread; it just leaves me feeling a bit baffled.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • Millar+ Slade = Crap!

    By Blogger Stephen Reid, at 9:40 pm  

  • Now I may be wrong here as I've not read Indestructible Man in an age BUT I seem to recall one of its bigger problems is the fact he's, well indestructible? Weren't there a few 'cliff-hangers' that involved him falling from a great height say, or being blown up. Only for the next prog to reveal. Oh hold on its ok he's, you guessed it, Indestructible?

    Or is my memory failing me?

    By Blogger Colin, at 8:33 am  

  • Stephen, that seems to be the popular point of view of the loyal Squaxx dek Thargo.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 8:24 pm  

  • I can't remember any cliff hangers of the type that you refer to but being indestructable does affect the readers' investment I would have thought.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 8:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home