<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Thursday, February 05, 2009

Prog 752

Free with this prog is Tharg the Mighty’s Database; a Panini album in which the trading cards free with the last two progs can be placed along with those bought separately. What I think is interesting about my copy is that it was still sealed and had to be opened by me to continue with The Slog. It makes you wonder doesn’t it? Was the guy I bought this collection from on eBay now just buying the comic and chucking it into a box without reading it? It’s understandable if this is what was happening. The previous two to three years had been a particularly turbulent period for 2000 AD and now, although things are better, it still lacks most of the vitality it had during its first decade, a period he clearly experienced. Maybe he continued to buy it in the hope that it would return to its former glory and he wanted to be there for it. Or maybe 2000 AD was now a habit for him. Or maybe he was a completist who, by prog 1188, had come to his senses. Or maybe he just forgot to read prog 752.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

  • I was still reading 2000AD at the time, yet I've no memory of this at all. Funny that.

    By Blogger Mark, at 8:23 pm  

  • The free gift is pretty forgetable, Mark. I mean, look at that cover for starters.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:46 pm  

  • I was dead excited to get this free gift at the time. It put me ni mind of many a panini sticker album I'd owned as a younger yonugster. Sadly of course, this album didn't have stickers, it had cards. And you couldn;t buy the cards in the shops, and you couldn't swap them with people in the playgorund. Well rubbish.

    By Blogger alexf, at 2:12 pm  

  • Alex, but you could buy the set directly from 2000 AD for £5. What a con :-)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home