<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Prog 739

The advantage of returning to The Slog after a break isn’t just that I feel reinvigorated but also I have a good excuse for not understanding things. For example, I don’t really understand how Tao de Moto can not be physically pregnant on one hand but actually be pregnant on the other. I can put this failure down to forgetting important story points because of the weeks I left between progs and not to me failing to pay attention properly.

Tao de Moto by Myra Hancock and Dave Hine is proving to be a professionally written and well drawn strip. My only criticism is that it doesn’t seem to take advantage of its limitations in length (each episode is only two pages long) by being punchier. Had it taken some risks, it might have been a strip that inspired devotion instead of professional respect.

While I’m here, I want to say that I am always happy to see a Cliff Robinson drawn Judge Dredd story. I might have mocked him before for the similarity of his work to Brian Bolland’s but, although the influence is clear, I don’t think that there is a chance that you could ever confuse the two. It’s incorrect, I think, to interpret the differences in Robinson’s work to Bolland’s as his failure to capture its nuances completely. Take a look at his prog’s cover. I love the use of colour. Those faces look as if they could have been painted by John Burns.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

  • I've just read some of 2008's output, and in particular a Cliff Robinson strip really struck me as (finally) being his own, rather than a Bolland shadow. Heck, there's even a Robin Smith strip that's quite loosely drawn, and all the better for it.

    I'm going to have to find some other artists to complain about. Hang on, here we go: Clint Langley... ;)

    PS Happy New Year Paul!

    By Blogger Ken Davidson, at 7:38 pm  

  • hi, just found your blog by chance. I googled "starlord annual bolland" trying to confirm that Bolland did the Starlord 1981 Annual cover (he did) and your June 2007 blog came up 2nd on google's list. I had to write because I'm on a similar 'Prog slog' with my son. I got my first Prog (128) in 1979 & have read every prog every week since then (and got the 127 back Progs, every annual, JD Megazine etc.) A year ago my son asked to read them all (see Letter of the week in Prog 1584 April last year for more details). We've reached Prog 290 inc. all the specials, annuals etc. as we reach them. He's very particular about reading everything and in the right order so now we've just started catching up on reading Starlord on screen because we bought (20 quid!) a massive digitised 2000AD collection inc. every Starlord, most of the annuals etc scanned & on computer.
    We're still reading the real comics as its so much better to have the real thing, nothing beats turning real pages, but then the fragile old Progs can be safely bagged back up and boxed and my son can re-read any prog off the computer whenever he wants - fantastic. We've pretty much got a full collection now of everything 2000AD / Megazine / Starlord. Just missing the Tornado's as they weren't included in the digitised collection, though issue one is on its way from ebay. Looking forward to seeing Belardinelli's Angry Planet.
    We are throughly enjoying our epic journey through the 2000AD universe and also cataloging everything as we go. We're scanning as we go to fill gaps and flaws in the digitised collection and making a huge spreadsheet index of everything. I know.... it'll never be finished, but its fascinating and fun (and quality time with my son). We've calculated catching up to present by about 2014AD! (but that doesn't account for the Megazine). I think your're gonna finish before us! If you wanna go beyond Prog 1180 or fill the gaps I may be able to help (if you don't mind reading off a screen) and I have a box full of 'seconds' from partial collections I've accrued over the years. Splundig etc.

    By Blogger Aero, at 1:45 am  

  • Cheers Ken. Happy New Year to you.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:32 pm  

  • Hi Aero. Nice to hear from you. i go through two thoughts when I hear of someone else re-reading all the progs - 1. Damn! I'm not the only peson to think to do it, then 2. maybe i'm not that mad after all. You're re-read looks to be more thorough than mine if you include Tornado, which I skipped. You're currently at a good period in your "Slog". I'll be interested to hear how enjoyable you find it when you reach the late 500s. At least you have a good reason reason for embarking on your "Slog" - bonding with your son. Thanks for getting in touch, it was great to her from you.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:41 pm  

  • hi Aero. Can you tell me where i can get hold of a digitised 2000AD collection. Answer here or email speedwaysmoke at hotmail dot com

    By Blogger Simon C, at 5:03 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home