<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Friday, January 30, 2009

Judge Dredd The Megazine 1.20

Volume one of The Megazine ends with two episodes of Middenface McNulty and ten, I repeat, TEN pages of The Straitjacket Fits. Even ten pages of Judge Dredd painted by Sam Keith can’t shift the feeling that this enterprise started out so positively and now it finishes like a damp bank holiday. Well, until the start of volume two in a fortnight, anyway.

Of course, Brit-Cit Babes also ends this issue. You might remember me mentioning before that I knew artist Steve Sampson quite well at this time and, although I haven’t seen him for over ten years, I feel unable to comment on his work with the usual impartiality that you’ve come to expect from the BBC, I mean, The Slog.

I can tell you that when Steve told me that he was working with John Wagner I was utterly excited so you can probably imagine how confused I was when Brit-Cit Babes appeared and it turned out not to be one of his best scripts. It was a bit like seeing Tim Burton’s Batman film for the first time. I was so disappointed that I had to see it two more times to make sure that my senses weren’t deceiving me. I think it’s well documented that Wagner got dispirited with Brit-Cit Babes very quickly and so left it to editor David Bishop to finish it off for him.

It might be obvious to you that Steve used models for his work. All of those women from the strip are either girlfriends or ex-girlfriends of his. The male lead, Pete, is actually Steve, I think. I always hoped that one day he would base one of his characters on me but, as far as I’m aware, that didn’t happen. I like to think it’s because I have a quality that only the greatest artists are able to capture and he was intimidated by this but actually I don’t think I was fashionable or good looking enough.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • I'd gone off the megazine by then but was almost tempted to buy it by that lovely Brian Bolland cover. Wasn't that a period when it was pretty unusual to see any work by him for the 2000 AD stable? If so, I'm guessing they persuaded him to do it on the basis he'd get to draw some pretty girls instead of Dredd...

    By Blogger Tam, at 5:53 pm  

  • My memory says that you're right, Tam. I don't know if the agreement meant that he didn't actually have to draw Dredd but it was certainly a big deal that it was a cover by Bolland. I've not been reading the editorials or letters pages recently. If I had been then I might know for sure.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home