<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Friday, November 21, 2008

Winter Special 3

The problem for me with anything that describes itself as “laugh out loud funny”, “the biggest comedy of the year” or, in this case, a “laff-o-rama” is I find myself folding my arms, tapping my foot and saying, “go on then; make me laugh” metaphorically and, usually, literally.

Mark Millar writes his first Judge Dredd story called Christmas is Cancelled! It’s set amongst Mega City One’s Scottish community and sees him write the accent comparatively favourably with his predecessors Wagner and Grant. It’s a fun story helped by Brett Ewins’ art but it’s not funny.

This is what all the stories in the third Winter Special are; fun. The Tharg the Mighty story might contain a scene where Tharg does some stand up but it’s not funny, it’s fun. Fervent and Lobe might chase a demon through a funeral wake but it’s not funny, it’s fun. Bix Barton might rub up against The Disproportionate Man as his toe nails grow at an alarming rate but it’s not funny, it’s fun. Well, okay, that one is funny. In fact, this is exactly the tone 2000 AD should have all of the time except never, never tell me it’s funny.

There is one exception; the Bradley story. Simon Harrison scrawls notes all over his artwork again so that it rubs up against Alan McKenzie’s thin script. That’s not much fun. Also, while I’m here, I want to give a special mention to the untitled Future Shock dawn by Eric Bradbury. In it, a talking rabbit is sent back through time with amusing consequences (see fun) for the present. The script is credited to TMO (The Mighty One) which frustrates me slightly as it’s a particularly strong if silly Future Shock and I am interested to know who actually wrote it.

That is all.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • Credited to TMO? Was Bishop in the job by then?

    By Blogger Mark, at 7:49 pm  

  • bishop was a sub-ed at that time.

    mckenzie and burton would have been in charge at that stage.

    By Blogger Derek, at 8:47 am  

  • I don't necessarily believe that "TMO" indicates that it's written by an editor though, does it? In the olden days, Wagner and Grant used "TMO" quite often.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:54 pm  

  • grant was an assistant ed at one time Aaln-1

    By Blogger Derek, at 9:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home