<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Prog 709

While Mega City One collectively tries to recover from the occupation by the Four Dark Judges and The Sisters of Death, Judge Anderson is swanning around a city ruin in Tibet with her new friends from East Meg One. It’s as if Necropolis never happened. Oh, wait a minute, it didn’t. It says here, “Shamballa, A Pre-Necropolis Story”.

I think that The Slog is beginning to affect me. Although I continue to enjoy Judge Dredd, I find myself being indifferent to strips such as Time Flies and Anderson PSI Division Shamballa. I think I am finding it difficult to engage with the idea of a Judge looking for something meaningful in her life when really she should be out on the streets cracking heads open. Alan Grant’s story is a little too reflective in tone for me right now.

How does Arthur Ranson draw his strips? Does he take a photograph of, say, Judge Death, and then trace over it? Of all the Andersons drawn over the years, his is the version I’ve always had a little crush on. Maybe the model for her actually exists and she’s walking around out there right now. Ranson’s artwork is perfect. Is it wrong to sometimes think it’s a little too perfect and want him to draw something ugly and wrong instead?

Labels: , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

  • Ranson uses a technique called lightboxing extensively. essentially it is a form of tracing from reference

    By Blogger Derek, at 7:51 pm  

  • Gorgeous cover.

    By Blogger Joe, at 8:11 pm  

  • The Anderson I've a crush on? Brett Ewins'.

    By Blogger Mark, at 12:25 am  

  • Ranson was always one of my favourite artists... There's a picture he did of Anderson in the 'Satan' story where she's all 'Judge-God' in a fancy out-fit, I loved that page... but I've never seen anyone draw her so that she was as sexy as she could be - even Ian Gibson (please don't throw things - Gibson is the master of Girly characters... but sometimes his Anderson looked a bit too kooky/goofy to be really sexy).

    Is Anderson the greatest fanboy drool factor for 2000AD? If not, who is? Halo Jones, Durham Red, Rose O'Rion, Synnamon, Hershey?... There really aren't that many candidates and even those depend on who's doing the drawing...

    I've just realized how sad I sound... oh the shame!

    By Blogger Kevin Levell, at 11:09 am  

  • Kevin

    I can't help but think that Brian Bolland's original Judge Anderson design (based on Debbie Harry maybe?) was deliberately sexy. Steve Sampson sexed her up a bit too, although his art is rather stylized (I liked it). But yes, a lot of artists went for the butch action hero or the realistic older woman approach or, as you say, the kooky Gibson / Boo Cook look.

    By Blogger alexf, at 12:55 pm  

  • Derek, that makes sense to me.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:04 pm  

  • Joe, it is. Perfect. Too perfect ... :-)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:04 pm  

  • Mark, is it the heels?

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:05 pm  

  • Kevin, I liked Bolland's Hershey with the regimental haircut.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:06 pm  

  • Alex, at the time I knew Steve Sampson (just before he did Anderson) he based all of his women on people he knew. So, she's definitely walking around out there.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:08 pm  

  • Bollands Judge Anderson is the classic but of those seen recently in the slog David Roach's is my favourite.

    On the lightboxing side of things I recall a Ranson saying it was a technique he used in commercial advertising first and then used a lot when he worked for Look-in magazine. On strips like Space 1999 he needed to use lots of reference material.

    By Blogger Derek, at 3:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home