<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Prog 700

There’s nothing quite like a re-launch prog as an opportunity to raise the price and this week it goes up by 5p. Unlike the last price rise of the same amount the colour page count doesn’t triple this time but the paper is whiter. Consequently, Ron Smith’s colour epilogue to Judge Dredd Necropolis looks fantastic while Carl Critchlow’s painted Nemesis and Deadlock one-off looks a lot less muddy than it might have been had it appeared last week.

The Nerve Centre has been reformatted and doubled in size too. Reader’s art and letters have been separated out to the Input section which appears on the inside back cover. The inside front is given over to Tharg’s editorials and IG-Roid’s promotion of the rest of the 2000 AD line. IG-Roid (I had the IG-Roids once, by the way. I was terrified. I thought I had bum cancer), in real life Igor Goldkind, came over from Titan Books to help promote the new expanding line of comics and albums coming out of the Command Module. I guess if you’re Tharg looking for a PR man at this time then you might as well hire the Titan Books guy as he would have been effectively promoting 2000 AD as his job already.

I’m not knocking PR, my friend owns a PR company and she deserves every bit of success she gets, but don’t English language comics have a history of successfully promoting themselves on a nonexistent budget? Look at Marvel Comics during the sixties, for example. Stan Lee did exactly the same thing in their letters pages as IG-Roid seems to be doing now in the Nerve Centre except Lee also wrote all of Marvel’s books, answered all of the letters and edited them as well. He didn’t get a special guy in.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • Don't you mean Stan Lee 'wrote' all the Marvel comics at the time (I'm being fasecious)?

    700 was the first issue of an unbroken run of weekly purchases for me that lasted until the mid 900s. It seemed very special for me at the time, as it was my first experience of a relaunch. I was particularly blown away by Shamballa, Ranson's art was like nothing I'd seen before after a childhood of second-hand Marvel comics inherited from my cousin. The story occupies a far larger position in the 2000AD mythology of my head than it perhaps merits.

    By Blogger Joe, at 6:54 pm  

  • I write about Ranson's art in today's entry, Joe. It still looks great.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home