<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Prog 699

Judge Dredd Necropolis finishes this prog. Three of the four Dark Judges are captured in one form or other, the bearded McGruder, who now refers to herself in the plural, is Chief Judge and Dredd is again the official Judge Dredd after Kraken did such a disastrous job of it. Like Slaine The Horned God, this saga has been completely satisfying from the beginning of The Dead Man to the end here today. Of course, reading it this time around, I’ve benefited from being exposed to Necropolis in a contracted period of time but I’m not going to hold that against it.

The real hero of the entire saga is artist Carlos Ezquerra, who provided sometimes six but usually seven pages of painted artwork for the last thirty one weeks. Sometimes his work drifted into the abstract but, I’ll be honest with you, I’ve been looking for flaws and the truth is that he pretty much kept the standard up throughout. I hope Tharg lets him lie down for a while and rest his aching wrists. He deserves it.

I think I might have been a touch premature in thinking that Necropolis is John Wagner’s big farewell to Judge Dredd before his return a little later. I recall that he writes many of the stories in volume one of the Megazine which has just started and, for the purposes of research, I did a quick flick through 2000 AD’s for the next few months and he seems to still be contributing to Dredd there for a while. Despite this, I think that approaching Necropolis for The Slog as if it were Wagner’s last Dredd story was a wise approach as I was able to give myself to the twists and turns more fully and with the tiniest amount of cynicism.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • Ezquerra certainly is a workhorse - fast and consistent! Awesome!

    Am I right in thinking Hewligan's Haircut starts next prog? I fecking loved that series!

    By Blogger Kevin Levell, at 10:26 pm  

  • Dredd's mercy killing of Kraken is, for me, one of THE defining 'Dredd Moments' although it seems to have been overshadowed by older stuff like 'gaze into the fist of Dredd', 'I'm fighting with Rowdy Yates', nuking east Meg and so forth...

    By Blogger Tam, at 1:01 pm  

  • Kevin, you're correct. prog 700.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:08 pm  

  • Tam, I was expecting a big face off. The execution was appropriately downbeat.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:09 pm  

  • Nice to see Ezquerra get some superlative praise. What with the sheer quantity of his work it would be easy to see him as a journeyman and overlook the muscular solidity and subtlety in his work that make him the definitive Dredd artist for me.

    By Blogger Joe, at 10:27 pm  

  • Yeah, he's great isn't he, Joe.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home