<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Monday, November 10, 2008

Prog 697

Slaine The Horned God Book III reaches part ten this prog and still it isn’t quite over. It’s nice to be surprised with an unexpected extra episode. Having said all I feel there is to say about the saga in earlier Slog entries I find myself with little to add now that it’s drawing to a close other than it’s maintained its high quality throughout. Simon Bisley’s art has been relentlessly stunning and Pat Mills seems to be having a good time too. The Horned God is the definitive Slaine story. The only one you need to read, really. Utterly satisfying.

In this prog’s Flix column, 2000 AD’s current movie feature, John Brosnan writes abut Hardware, the low budget science fiction film that bares an uncanny resemblance to the one-off Shok first published in the 1981 Judge Dredd Annual. My understanding is that the makers eventually credited 2000 AD as the source for the movie’s story but it’s interesting to read the comic’s take on the situation during what seems to be before the issue got settled. Personally, I find myself surprised that anyone from 2000 AD’s current regime noticed the similarity given the number of strips that have now been printed over the last thirteen and a half years and the overall differences in editorial attitude between 1990 and a decade earlier. In fact, I wonder if it would even have been noticed had Shok not been reprinted in prog 612 last year.

Finally, Tharg’s droids are working hard on ensuring all of the strips conclude in time for the re-launch in prog 700. The only story to continue across the anniversary issue is, according to his editorial, Harlem Heroes. Tharg, you great big, stupid, green idiot!

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • EIGHTEEN YEARS AGO!!!!

    Oh, I feel old now.

    Sláine really was my favourite character at this point, even though there were some cool things going on in Dredd's world... it was the Barbarian and Simon Bisley that really won me over.

    By Blogger Kevin Levell, at 10:04 pm  

  • You feel old? Imagine how I feel!

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home