<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Monday, November 03, 2008

Prog 689

ITEM: Tell me which, if any, of the following music acts you’ve heard of. Amina. Rhythm King. E-Z Posse. Tricky Disco. Soft House. Many Faces. Diana Brown and Barrie K Sharpe. I think I may have heard of Rhythm King but, I’ll be honest with you, even then I’m straining. First time around, I found Roxilla’s Record review column Mix so alienating that I thought it would have been more appropriately placed in a music magazine better known for being elitist such as the NME or Mixmag. Mix isn’t entirely baffling however as she also reviews “Where Are You Babay” by Betty Boo, the new Cold Cut album and the 1990 remix of Fame by David Bowie. However, I prefer the original 2000 AD music column where a robot DJ only wrote about top twenty acts and even then only if they had a science fiction association.

ITEM: The latest is an occasional series of pin-ups by Mick Austin called Things To Look Forward To appears on the back of this prog. This time, what we have to look forward to are heart attacks at fifteen. It’s interesting to note that 2000 AD has always been concerned for the health of its young readers long before it became a hot topic in the mainstream press. (Please refer to the numerous Judge Dredd Fatty adventures).

Years earlier, when I was a tall, awkward, lanky fifteen year old, I attended one of the notorious London Comic Marts. In a tiny room away from the main hall, there was a discussion panel held for Warrior on which, amongst others, sat Alan Moore and editor Dez Skinn. The room was absolutely jammed so Skinn suggested that the people at the front kneel down so that those at the back could see. Being at the front and a prideful teenager, there was no way I was going to kneel down in front of these people no matter how much I admired them, so I went to wriggle my way back through the throng. However, some guy behind me was pushing forward and refused to let me move. In my attempt to take control of the situation I resorted to an old school dinner queue move and elbowed whoever it was in the ribs. At this point, Dez Skinn pointed over and said, “There’s Mick Austin. Could you let him through?” I turned to see a purple faced man who was smaller than me with bulging eyes clutching his stomach. I was so mortified that I immediately wriggled out of the room, found a corner and wailed.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

14 Comments:

  • Brilliant. Anyone else got a story about bullying an acclaimed comic artist? Maybe I could start with the time Carl Barks and me held an ageing Burne Hogarth's head in the toilet at San Diego '82 and flushed it.

    Last I heard about Mick Austin, he was official artist on a royal tour somewhere with Prince Charles. Ah, so that's why he isn't drawing covers for 2000AD anymore, thought I, unimpressed.

    By Blogger Mark, at 8:18 pm  

  • I've heard of Amiina. They're an all-female Icelandic group who make rather lovely, if slightly odd and ethereal, music with spoons and rhubarb and glockenspiels and the like. Also, they've only been around for a couple of years so I doubt it's the same one.

    I once gave Bill Sienkiewicz a dead leg because he wouldn't share his Chewitts.

    By Blogger Peter, at 9:00 pm  

  • Oh yes. I've also heard of Rhythm King and Tricky Disco: didn't they sing that "Ha-Ha-Ha Hardcore Uproar" one.

    By Blogger Peter, at 9:06 pm  

  • At Comicon'80 I gave Brian Bolland a Paddington-Bear-stare for taking my request to do 'just a quick sketch' too literally.

    (I was being too polite, he spent 35 seconds on my pic of Judge Dredd, then spent 15 mins on each of the next 4 lucky recipients...)

    By Blogger Ken Davidson, at 9:10 pm  

  • re the Bolland anecdote above: I wrote to the only Brian Bolland in the London phone book in the hope that it was the great man himself for a school art project when I was 13. Turned out it was, and he sent his new teenage stalker a Dredd sketch and a very gracious letter answering all my no-doubt unbelievably banal questions (the only one I can remember - "Who do you prefer drawing, Batman or Judge Dredd?"). For this I will always have a big place in my heart for him.

    By Blogger Joe, at 11:15 pm  

  • He said he preferred drawing Batman, by the way, which I found a tad disappointing.

    By Blogger Joe, at 11:19 pm  

  • I gave John Byrne a wedgie once for being a racist homophobic alan moore and grant morrison hating bstard.

    By Blogger Derek, at 11:12 am  

  • I've heard of Amiina (sp?) too. I think I have something by them, but I couldn't tell you what it is.

    The rest, no.

    By Blogger Rol, at 4:08 pm  

  • Mark, I once gave Chris Claremnt a chinese burn. It's nice to think that Austin is still getting the gigs.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:37 pm  

  • Peter, if it's a different Amiina then it doesn't count. I once twisted Will Eisner's left nipple.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:39 pm  

  • Ken, what a rotter that Bolland is. You'll be pleased to learn that I once pinched his bottom then ran off so he thought Dave Gibbons had done it who was standing next to him at the time.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:40 pm  

  • Joe, I withdraw my rotter statement about Bolland. What a decent bloke. You'll be pleased to learn that I have never pinched his bottom.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:42 pm  

  • Derek, poor old John Byrne. You big bully.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:43 pm  

  • Rol, just done a quick internet search and it's unlikely to be the same Amiina as this prog was published in 1990. Good try though.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home