<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Monday, October 06, 2008

Winter Special 2

This prog’s notable first is Tyranny Rex painted by Steve Sampson. I have to declare my interest here as at this time Steve was a close acquaintance of mine. About a year before this, Steve drew a strip that I wrote which we never got around to publishing. I still have the original artwork to it somewhere, along with a page from Brit Cit Babes he gave me. He was the first person I knew who made the break into professional comics. So, although I haven’t seen him for years, I don’t feel able to comment on his work with the same high standards of impartiality that you’ve come to expect from The Slog. I am certain, though, that every now and then I will drop his name into conversation in the hope that it might impress someone.

This prog’s notable last is the original Rogue Trooper in the sixteen paged The Hit Conclusion. The art by Chris Weston is fine but Steve Dillon, on script duties here, has delivered a dissatisfying wrap up. It has no real sense of pace or drama. Instead it reads like its being recounted by an over enthusiastic ten year old. “The blue soldier shoots all of the men. Then he gets kicked in the face by the lady assassin. Then she tells him that the aliens have been manipulating him all along.” It’s not really Dillon’s fault. He was tasked with tying up a saga by Tharg which, let’s face it, was so directionless that he would have dropped mid story if he thought the Squaxx dek Thargo would let him get away with it. Dillon does, however, provided an appropriate fate for the bio-chip buddies, all of whom get re-gened as innocent blue babies with Mohican haircuts. Ah, bless.

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • I remember when Sampson got his first gigs in 2000AD, and recognising his work from earlier paying gigs he'd done for RAZZLE, of all places. I was, uh, working in a newsagent at the time, and had plenty of time to flick through the top shelf books. But I could never admit that back then. Now, of course, I don't give a f*ck.

    By Blogger Mark, at 9:17 pm  

  • Brilliant, Mark :-). You're right, he did do some top shelf work. I forgot that.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:41 pm  

  • I remember enjoying brit cit babes in the first volume of the meg, very distinctive art comparted to the murky painted stuff that other art robots were doing. The strip got a Bolland cover an all, probably his last ever work for 2000ad/the meg.

    By Blogger Derek, at 9:15 pm  

  • Derek, I can't comment :-)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home