<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Prog 677

If Harlem Heroes is thick then Armoured Gideon is crazy. Newspaper photographer Frank Weitz has stumbled across a giant robot whose purpose it seems is to keep a dimension of demons called “The Edge” in check. This involves Gideon spraying holy water from tubes, shouting “Annihilate” and causing general mayhem as Frank runs around, falling through gateways in space and trying to avoid being crushed altogether. It all gets even more crazy when Gideon’s brother Jerubaal appears and they have a giant robot fight in the countryside.

When you contrast it against the insulting Harlem Heroes there’s a lot to like about Armoured Gideon. John Tomlinson’s dialogue is enjoyable even if the story itself leaves me feeling as if I’ve been the only adult in charge of a party for four years olds; I think that might have been fun but right now I feel bewildered and have a headache. Simon Jacob’s artwork is quirky, at times intricate, expressive and original. Steve Potter’s lettering (I don’t mention the lettering often enough at The Slog) adds the cherry to the strip’s design cake. Visually, it all hangs together well. Whether I actually like Armoured Gideon or not, I can’t say for sure. Hopefully, I’ll be able to make better sense of it later and be able to tell you what I think then.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • ANNIHILATE!!!

    The Exorcist meets Its a Knockout...great stuff.

    By Blogger Derek, at 11:24 pm  

  • I always rather liked Armoured Gideon, especially as, in retrospect, the whole thing served as a build up to a terrific punchline that wasn't to come for some years (when AG finally has the photographer bloke cornered at the end of series 2).

    By Blogger Joe, at 11:30 pm  

  • Derek, my problem is I think I never knew how seriously to take it.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:20 pm  

  • Punchline, Joe - I'll watch for that :-)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home