<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Thursday, October 09, 2008

Prog 662

More shocking than learning that Kevin Spacey was putting on that limp in The Usual Suspects and more surprising than learning that Bruce Willis had been a ghost all along in The Sixth Sense is the revelation that The Dead Man’s true identity is Judge Dredd. First time around I had to stand up so I could sit down again because of the shock. Even this time, twenty years later, my pulse rate increased and I got a little breathless.

By the time The Dead Man concludes this prog we learn that the dark judges are returning with two damn ugly sisters in tow and that Dredd has taken the long walk. Someone should tell the lead strip because he’s still a judge in Mega City One there. Oh, someone has, because no sooner does The Dead Man finish than he turns up in Judge Dredd reminiscing about the circumstances that led to his retirement from duty and taking the long walk.

I love The Dead Man. I love the focused writing and the professional artwork. I love the dynamic between the main character and Yassa, the young boy who tells the story. I love the creeping atmosphere, the sense that something really bad is about to happen. I love the reveal and the fact that it couldn’t have been nearly as affective had The Dead Man appeared anywhere other than in an anthology alongside the strip it is referencing. I love seeing the rule of never seeing Dredd’s face being broken even if it is all scared up and not normally how he would look. I love the way the two strips come together this prog and the plot is passed from one to the other. I didn’t love seeing Yassa getting his eyes burned out. I really like that kid.

Labels: , , , , ,

11 Comments:

  • Hi, Paul. I'm wearily making my way through 'back issues' of the slog (I'm up to October last year as it happens). One thing I'm surprised by is that in general a lot of readers seemed to regularly skip strips they didn't like. Maybe it's really anal of me but I have to say that I never did this, even if I really disliked the strip. It was still one fifth of my 20p (or whatever it cost) and, dammit, I was going to read it and try to get it or whatever. Curious to see that readers readily skipped over Mean Arena, Ace Trucking Co and others.

    By Blogger dmstarz, at 11:53 am  

  • You know, I remember twigging that the Dead Man was Dredd fairly early on, but I have to say that it didn't impact on my enjoyment of the strip one bit. The bit you mention where the two strips come together is one of my fondest memories of the 2000AD format working beautifully.

    By Blogger Andrew Cheverton, at 12:25 pm  

  • I loved Dead Man and I remember being highly excited about the forth coming Necropolis story too. Dark Judges return!

    By Blogger Kevin Levell, at 3:47 pm  

  • "Wearily"? Thanks a lot, mate :-) Yeah, I was and still am like you. Never skipped a strip. I ofetn tried to make myself like it but some are contemptable that it's still difficult. Welcome aboard, dmstarz.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 4:32 pm  

  • Hi Chev. I think most of us suspected that The Dead Man might be Dredd but my belief that whoever would never have the nerve to bend established rules of the concept pushed that thought aside.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 4:35 pm  

  • Kevin, I've reignited that excitment in myself again. How sad :-)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 4:37 pm  

  • Oops. Sorry about the 'wearily', nothing to do with your writing per se, but moreso because I'm reading them at top speed to try to catch up with the latest posts. :)

    By Blogger dmstarz, at 4:17 pm  

  • me too dmstarz! I keep falling behind in the reading...one can only admire Pauls dedication to the cause!

    plus the progs are pretty damn good atm, that helps with getting through them.

    By Blogger Derek, at 2:25 pm  

  • Don't worry, dmstarz - I knew what you meant :-)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:33 pm  

  • They are damn good at the mo, even despite my annoyance at Bradley.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:34 pm  

  • I've been reading the 'back issues' of the slog too. Maybe someone should do a prog slog blog slog blog!

    By Blogger Simon C, at 5:35 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home