<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Thursday, October 02, 2008

Prog 653

I’ve already expressed a slight bewilderment at starting the new Rogue Trooper before the old one has been buried and now, after only four episodes, the strip is going on a ten week break to allow artist Will Simpson “time to catch up”. What was Tharg thinking starting it so soon? So far, it’s taken twenty two pages for Friday (the old Rogue Trooper) to be given a helmet by the dying Top (the old Helm) and a rifle by the dying Eight-Ball (the old Gunner). In the original story by Gerry Finley-Day and Dave Gibbons, it took them only four pages to get this far.

Tharg really doesn’t seem to be paying attention this prog. There’s a half page ad for prog 650 inside. Promotion for upcoming issues isn’t uncommon but prog 650 came and went three weeks ago. Ads booked for upcoming issues include prog 57, Dice Man issue one and a penny-farthing bicycle.

Finally, if you thought that all signs of fun had been drained away from Tharg’s Nerve Centre in preference for debates over what’s better, thrash or grindcore, then look again as my favourite peace of reader’s art ever appears. Earthlet Anthony Hitchfield has drawn a picture of Judge Charlie Brown and titled it “Good Grud!” Bravo.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

  • And the kids today think "decompression" is a modern problem. And late artists.

    Anyway, I remember thinking that they could ave ended the old Rogue in a more fitting fashion before the reboot, too, and the later efforts to marry the new and old continuities were utterly abysmal.

    Basically, they killed Rogue stone dead by neglect, really. He's one of the top five 2000AD characters, but no-one has had much of a clue how to use him since.

    By Blogger Mark, at 8:07 pm  

  • Part of the motivation for the character rebuiled I think, apart form the original version completely losing its way, is that the main four characters had self fulfilling names; Rogue, Gunner etc. The Gibbons/Simpson version "fixes" that, although for me, that was part of the charm. I don't remember the new version ever being nearly as popular.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:12 pm  

  • Have to say that Rogue was never a character I was particularly keen on. I'm sure I enjoyed the action of the strip, but it I don't remember ever going back to it the way I could with Slaine or Nemesis, say.

    I don't remember the continuing adventures after this, although they've got a pretty bad rep, but War Machine was a beautiful looking strip if nothing else.

    By Blogger Peter, at 4:46 pm  

  • I thought the new Rogue was great, not just the art which was gorgeous but the reboot was a good story from Gibbons too, its just a pity its so split up, it reads well as a collected story.

    Also the fact that they gave it to Micheal bloody Fleisher is what really has it in such low esteem I think. If they'd left it at just the Killing Machine story or kept gibbons writing I think it would have survived better.

    By Blogger Derek, at 11:28 am  

  • Peter, I was like you I suppose. I've leanred to appreciate RT during the slog.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:04 pm  

  • Derek, i'm unclear as the politics behind Gibbons not continuing to write it but I suspect it was his choice and not Tharg's.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:06 pm  

  • Judge Charlie Brown was genius. The only drawings which I can remember which were that funny were (and I can't remember the prog numbers) (1) a picture of a traffic cone with a woman's head on top, labelled "The Bollard Of Halo Jones", and (2) on a double-page spread with many readers' versions of Tharg, a two-millimetre-square dot labelled "Tharg The Very Small".

    By Blogger Gil, at 4:27 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home