<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Prog 642

There might be those of you who think of this era of 2000 AD as glorious but the truth is that for every Slaine the Horned God there is a Zippy Couriers. When I started The Slog, I remembered that Zippy Couriers lay ahead and I was fully expecting it to become my shorthand for the thrill that is bad.

Written by current tone setter Hilary Robinson and competently drawn by Graham Higgins, Zippy Couriers is about a young woman called Zippy who runs a courier business, duh. Other characters include Butch a talking cat, some guy who’s a bit dim and his girlfriend. In The Searchers, the dim guy is abducted by aliens who remove from his stomach one of their people he accidentally ate in a previous story.

My summary makes it sound quite good but there is an affirming tone to Zippy Couriers that unbalances it. For example, I didn’t mention the traffic cop who witnesses the dim guy being returned and comments to himself that he’s been working too hard or the final scene where dimmy can’t bring himself to eat a doughnut in case it’s another alien. The Searchers obviously sprung out of some misguided need to confirm that no aliens where harmed during their consumption in a previous story. Contrast it against the Judge Dredd tale that follows it and you will have a clearer understanding of what I mean. In Playaday, children’s TV presenters brawl with each other on live television and ends with the young viewers crying after they see Dredd arresting them.

The truth is, however, I have learned on my revisit that Zippy Couriers isn’t that bad. Both the writing and art are unquestionably professional. The problem here is it’s appropriateness for 2000 AD given that the strip seems more suited for the under fives, young mothers, members of the Women’s Institute; anyone who the comic isn’t for, basically. There is a strip to come in The Slog that I remember disliking more than Zippy Couriers (see if you can guess what it is) but the fact remains that given a choice between it and The Mean Arena I would choose the future sport strip.

Labels: , , , , , ,

15 Comments:

  • >see if you can guess what it is

    Tao De Moto?
    I remember that being a real low point for me.

    By Blogger horace goes skiing, at 6:14 pm  

  • No, Horace.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 7:31 pm  

  • I know I know!!!!

    I bet it involves a big black cat

    By Blogger Derek, at 7:34 pm  

  • Harlem Heroes? Or something else by Micheal Fleisher?

    By Blogger Tam, at 8:06 pm  

  • These sort of guessing games were easier before Rebellion fu*ked up the official 2000AD website. All that precious information lost! What were those twats thinking?

    By Blogger Mark, at 11:03 pm  

  • A Life Less Ordinary.

    By Blogger Kevin Levell, at 1:13 pm  

  • Derek, I know what you are refering to, but not what I'm thinking of.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:52 pm  

  • Tam, nope.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:52 pm  

  • I know, Mark. I can't confirm my notable firsts anymore.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:53 pm  

  • Kevin, that appeared after I left so no. Not read it, or seen it.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:55 pm  

  • Its not Dry Run is it?

    or Junker....

    By Blogger Derek, at 11:52 pm  

  • Dry Run? I don't remember that one.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:16 pm  

  • think helltrekkers but even more boring...and with horses.

    I think it was written by a pr man or something.

    By Blogger Derek, at 7:06 pm  

  • Derek, I'm not going to tell you until it's time but you're warmer than you think :-)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:10 pm  

  • Ok, I'll wait for the big reveal instead of making more guesses Paul.

    Regarding Zippy couriers, I'm not sure if its a juvenile as that but its not suited to 2000ad really. I reckon that it would make a great light hearted webcomic these days if Hilary Robinson were to get back into writing.

    By Blogger Derek, at 1:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home