<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Friday, September 05, 2008

Prog 622

ITEM: Anderson PSI Division Helios ends this prog after a nine week run. In it, Anderson with the help of empathic Judge (yes, there is such a thing) Corey tracks down a killer from beyond the grave. Artist David Roach creates what comic collectors from the seventies would describe as GGA; Good Girl Art, hence scenes like Anderson and Corey in their underwear getting ready for a night out at a club. Helios has been a clinical strip, I would say. Not one of Anderson’s warmest adventures.
ITEM: It looks like those Command Module capers where Tharg and his droids have run-ins with The Dictators of Zrag and Thrill Suckers might be a thing of the past. This prog’s Future Shock, Dead Line, follows a scripts journey from its writer in her office at home, via the Royal Mail to Tharg at the 2000 AD offices. I don’t know what appals me more; the “glaring anomaly” that the script contains being revealed as a little creature that glares or people having replaced Tharg’s robot employees of the past without a mention of them ever having existed.

Had Dead Line been cast with robots instead of humans then it might have been forgiven for what barely passes for either a story or a pun or a joke. As it happens, the reveal is so cute it made me want to stick my head through a window. The only thing it has going for it is the return of artist Ron Smith after his long absence drawing Judge Dredd for The Daily Star.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

  • Its a pity Ron Smith was relegated to future shocks though...

    Anyway to Helios, I enjoyed it a lot this time around. I thought it was what an Anderson story should be. I liked her using her powers to detect actual crimes and track down the killer rather than all that mystical mumbo jumbo she got up to in the 90's

    And Roachs GGA was nice, nothing wrong with anderson frolicking around in her skimpies imo

    By Blogger Derek, at 3:05 pm  

  • Helios is a good story, I just prefer the pop-ier ones drawn by Ewins and Robinson, Derek.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 4:52 pm  

  • aye, the ewins stories and the kitson drawn orlok story was great. I'm referring to the later stories where she fought Satan and stuff.

    By Blogger Derek, at 6:55 pm  

  • Interesting the mention here of the 2000AD offices. I've spent a happy hour or so reading your blog for the first time, having read 2000AD as a kid in Coventry from Prog 4 till I went to university, then only stopping when I sold Progs 1 to 50 to a fellow student in 1984. (Having parted with the most valuable part of my collection, I lost heart, stopped buying it, and eventually destroyed the remainder of my collection.) A few months ago I started working in a building opposite Kings Reach Tower, which is now empty of course and, I understand, is awaiting redevelopment. I looked on every page of your blog to try and spot a cover I seem to recall that featured a Future Shock where the Tower (which was, you'll recall, Tharg's spacegoing vessel only disguised as an office block) was launching skyward. I don't remember which prog this was. Did I dream it?

    By Blogger adavies_787, at 3:44 pm  

  • You didn't dream it. I can't remember the exact prog but it was during the 100's . I think it was from a Dictators of Zrag Tharg story.

    By Blogger Derek, at 11:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home