<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Prog 619

ITEM: This prog’s Judge Dredd story, Lockin’ Up The House (Cube Mix), is painted by Dougie Braithwaite. This may or may not be a notable first but despite having personally gone through every issue of 2000 AD up until this point I still feel unable to confirm this. It used to be that I would go to the official website and clarify my suspicions but the re-launch a couple of months ago has meant that first-appearance information has been removed. Still, if it is Dougie Braithwaite’s debut then it’s an impressive one.

ITEM: I’m getting fed up with the number of house ads that 2000 AD seems to be running at the moment (Slog time). In this prog alone there are four pages of them. I make that four the same amount of pages that the comic was increased by to help justify the price increase a few progs back. Older readers remember when ads for the next prog were individual and often valid in their own right, now they’re the same, week in week out. This and the quantity of reprints run recently can’t help but create ill feeling amongst long term readers, surely.

Still, I see that the back page continues to be a dedicated an original illustration by an art robot (not that they are referred to as that anymore). This is something I missed when later Tharg stopped commissioning this type of thing.

ITEM: I do like that Cliff Robinson cover, though.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • I seem to remember the value for money backlash raging continually on the letters page... If only we could go back to the halcyon days of a good comic costing under a quid!

    I used to really dislike Cliff Robinson's work - there was stuff that continually bugged me about his Dredd and that derivative Bolland style - but I've seen some of his more recent work and I really liked it.

    The Hewlett droid (from last post) was one of my favourite artists at this time.

    By Blogger Kevin Levell, at 10:55 am  

  • Kevin, there's been no debate regarding value for money yet in the Nerve Centre. Yeah, that hewlett droid can draw!

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 4:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home