<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Prog 577

Simon Bisley is back drawing the recently returned ABC Warriors. As you may know, he’s currently taking turns on the art duties with the enigmatic SMS who, between them, operate a shift system of four episodes on, four episodes off. Mister Bisley’s art has definitely improved over recent weeks. The criticism I had before regarding his background work seems to have been resolved. My only issue now is, and this applies to both artists, that the rate at which I read the story is bing slowed down by my not often being able to separate the characters from their busy panels.

Writer Pat Mills doesn’t help by frequently diverting this story’s flow with distracting political and philosophical background. Do we really want to know about the Seven Sacred Orifices of The Cosmic Mother? (I’ve worked out that they are ears, eyes, nose, mouth, front bottom and back bottom, but what’s the last one?) Even when Hammerstein and Deadlock, leaders of the two opposing factions in the team, have a big fight at last they still manage to debate their view points during punches. Why can’t they just shout insults like “big nose” and “fat arse” at each other? Even sewer mouthed Ro-Jaws seems unable to lighten the tone of the strip.

In theory this ABC Warriors story should work. It’s got great characters, it spins out of Nemesis the Warlock, it has a regarded writer and two memorable artists. Unfortunately, it isn’t quite working for reasons similar to why Nemesis The Two Torquemadas failed overall for me; the writer seemingly having an agenda in addition to telling the story and the art not always being clear enough.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • Seven orifices? Er, front bottom = two orifices, one for peeing, one for t'other ;)

    By Blogger Ken Davidson, at 6:57 pm  

  • Reminds me of a rather unsavoury joke about a golfer who accidentally strikes his wife on the Third Hole.

    By Blogger Stavros, at 12:28 pm  

  • I have to admit that I was totally amazed by Bisley's ABC Warriors and really loved the story - travelling down the time wastes to stop the destruction of the universe! Although this might have something to do with me being about 14 at the time and doing Art GCSE at school.

    Around this point I queued up at Forbidden Planet to get this very issue signed by Bisley, Pat Mills and SMS - although it was kinda evident (in my own head at least) that most of the boys in line had very little interest in SMS! Speaking of SMS, I always thought his art just suffered from lack of depth - it was a bit too fiddly for me with not enough weight - the total opposite of Bisley I guess. However recently my younger brother showed me a recent 2000ad that had an SMS colour painting on the back cover (i think it was an advert for a convention or something) which looked really cool - im not sure if he ever did anything in colour for 2000ad tho?

    By Blogger Robert John, at 10:58 pm  

  • Ken, I make it ten. Eyes x 2, ears x 2, nostrils x 2, mouth x 1, back bottom x 1 and front bottom x 2.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:10 pm  

  • Thanks for that, Stavros

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:10 pm  

  • Robert, I think bisley was more the natural artist at the time. I've always empathised with the artist that works at it, though :-)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home