<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Monday, June 30, 2008

Prog 546

I’ll be honest with you, first time around, I was a little resistant to the work of Pete Milligan. Yes, I enjoyed Bad Company, but I had a suspicion that he didn’t really like comics and only fell into the job because he did a favour for Brendan McCarthy and Brett Ewins one time. Then, along came Freaks.

In Freaks, shallow Carl Woolf, whilst sneaking off from an unattractive blind date, is snatched by aliens who mistakenly believe he can explain to them how humanity’s technological advancements work. Now, he is on the run on the alien world where he is thought of as grotesque and monstrous, with his three eyed companion Kilque and spitting pet Cuddles.

John Higgins’ art for the thrill is undoubtedly great. There’s a temptation to only remember his painted work but on Freaks his black and white art is considered and bold. Milligan, however, proves he isn’t just a literate cynic. Freaks is funny, warm and, although it’s not something I want to see all the time, the main characters experience a positive change. See, all it takes is a morality tale for me to warm to you.

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • I actually liked 'Freaks' a lot when I first read it. Wasn't there a sequel? or at least plans for a sequel?

    By Blogger Stephen Reid, at 3:00 pm  

  • Hi Stephen. I don't remember a sequel but that doesn't mean that there wasn't one.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:00 pm  

  • A sequel did come many, many years later called 'Faces', that was written and drawn by Higgins (maybe with his wife scripting?)
    I think it was somewhere in the Prog 1300s. It was fun for the most part, but on the whole a bit silly, and less heart-warming than the first one.

    By Blogger alexf, at 1:29 pm  

  • That will be why I don't remeber it as it happened way after I left the comic in a huff.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:47 pm  

  • The sequel was in the 1400's and was ok but not a patch on the original. It was written by John Higgins wife Mindy Newell and has the feel of something written by someone who dosen't normally write for comics.

    I liked the original story a lot, a lot of 2000AD was pretty grim in tone for the previous 30-40 issues (bad company, the Dead, Dredds Revolution story, The Two Torguemadas...all stories I liked incidentally) and this was a nice relief, sharp and funny without being twee and gorgeous art from Higgins.

    By Blogger Derek, at 1:03 am  

  • Yeah, you need a bit of balance

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home