<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Prog 544


Art robot Liam Sharp is becoming a regular face around The Command Module these days, especially on Judge Dredd. Before The Slog, he’s not been an artist whose work I’ve followed particularly although I’ve been aware that he goes on to work for Marvel in both the UK and USA. The truth is I never really rated him very highly.

I am reminded by his current Dredd story, Killkraze, what my problem with his work has always been; he draws Dredd as if he’s a muscle man. To me, Dredd is always at his visual best when drawn with the sneering menace of someone like Mark E Smith of The Fall. Sure, he’s also tall and lean with a good posture, but drawing him so that he wouldn’t look out of place in just a thong on muscle beach displays a misunderstanding of the character to me. I don’t like to think that Dredd spends six hours every day pumping iron with the guys in the Justice Department gym when he can achieve the same affect with a pair of elbow pads and big boots.


Of course, I have been wrong to allow this opinion on Dredd’s physique to colour my opinion of Sharp’s artwork particularly when you consider the artists to come later that will draw him as a muscle bound meat head. Sharp is a fine artist whose use of black is dynamic and whose line work is often lovely.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • I agree - Dredd's meant to be Clint Eastwood, not (ahem) Sylvester Stallone. And ol' Clint's obviously still got lead in his Lawgiver these days too.

    By Blogger Stavros, at 8:16 pm  

  • I always thought that Liam Sharps art wasn't much better than Robin Smiths... pretty average stuff.

    This is the last prog pre-OZ as well, which laid down plot threads that lasted for years in the Dredd universe...

    By Blogger Derek, at 10:56 pm  

  • Stallone does look good for his age though, doesn't he?

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:47 pm  

  • Oz is indeed next, Derek...

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home