<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Monday, June 23, 2008

Prog 537


ITEM: It’s interesting to note that Zenith might have been running for three weeks now but the actual character himself has only appeared in the middle episode so far. It’s more interesting, however, to see the appearance of a “many angled one” in context to much of what Grant Morrison goes on to write over the next twenty years. Masterman isn’t just a super villain but he’s also a Nazi possessed by a nine angled dark god as well. Was it, I wonder, the Slaine saga from a couple of years ago, Time Killer, that made Tharg believe that the readers would understand the weight of this?


ITEM: The Slog might currently be in the era of unforgettable thrills such as Zenith but it is also in midst of the forgettable. This prog sees the beginning of Universal Soldier by Alan McKenzie and Will Simpson. It had almost completely slipped my mind that this thrill had even existed until I turned to it in this prog earlier today.


Some guy is sent to a prison planet to sort out some problem when he is attacked by a feral woman. Because he is the ultimate soldier, his brain translates this into something he can cope with. Personally, I’m not sure that imagining you are being attacked by a rabid dog makes dealing with a crazy woman any easier. It doesn’t bode well for the thrill if the first association made with a woman is a dog, does it?

Labels: , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

  • 'The Alabammy Blimps'...I think it was around this time I got tired of 2000ad. Dillons artwork on this looked rushed and unispired.

    By Blogger Stephen Reid, at 3:52 pm  

  • Yeah, he's done better work before... and since, I must admit.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:51 pm  

  • Yeah I started realising things were awry with universal soldier - and that American-sounding guy who turns up (Fleischer?) doing Rogue Trooper and refusing to go away.

    By Blogger Stavros, at 7:34 pm  

  • I liked Simpsons art on Universal Soldier even if the story was a bit all over the place.

    Fleischer is still a ways off yet I think. I pulled a binbag full of progs out of storage a couple of days ago and they had a full run of progs 600-700 in them....the horror that is the return of the Harlem Heroes is yet to come... ;)

    By Blogger Derek, at 11:10 pm  

  • Stavros, I think Fleisher is still a year or two away yet... Future Slog entries, me think.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:49 pm  

  • Oh Derek, don't remind me to Harlem Heroes Mark II.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:50 pm  

  • I remember the first series of Universal Soldier as being all right. Might well be the art propping it up, but the idea seemed quite cool and even proto-Matrix in a "can you fly that?" "I can now." sort of way.

    By Blogger Peter, at 11:55 pm  

  • Peter, that might be the problem for me; I never liked The Matrix, even the first one.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home