<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Monday, May 26, 2008

Prog 495


Although you wouldn’t know it from the cover, Rogue Trooper is back after a break of nearly a year! Yay! I say “yay!” but the first thing I notice is that it’s no longer written by Gerry Finley-Day but by Simon Geller and Steve McManus, the team currently driving Tharg. My understanding is that McManus, the real editor of 2000 AD at this time, believed that it is poor practice for for someone in his position to write strips for his own comics instead of professional writers so I can only guess that this is an emergency. To be fair, any strips written by him before now have been okay and Tharg’s editorials are always entertaining.

According to the stats on the official 2000 AD website, Gerry Finley-Day never writes for 2000 AD again. In fact, last I heard anything about him was via a non comic reading friend who worked with him in an office in or near to Milton Keynes three or four years ago. Whenever I mention him here, I think that I could probably find a way to get in touch with him and arrange an interview. Then I remember I am in awe of most comic professionals and all I would probably be able to squeak out at him would be, “why did you stop writing comics?”

Why did he stop writing comics? At the time that he stopped working for 2000 AD his peers were already sodding off for high paid gigs in America. Even the most British and superhero resistant of script robots managed to get work for DC Comics by the end of the eighties. Why did Finley-Day think that 1985 was a good time to give up working for Tharg?

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

  • Well, G F-D (one of British Comics' greatest writers IMHO) was advertised as speaking with Kevin O'Neill and Pat Mills at the ICA Comics Britannia festival in London last November, organised by Paul Gravett. I've no idea what the event was like, since I live in America, but that's dream-ticket comics panel in my book....

    By Blogger Amanda, at 7:11 pm  

  • Hi Amanda. I saw that advertised too, but too late for me to attend. Actually, I find it pleasing to think that he is still remembered and regarded by his peers.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 7:48 pm  

  • Finley-Day wrote some great stories, but i think the reasons for his departure from 2000AD are clear: his last Rogue Trooper stories seem to show a creative drying up - his usual imaginativeness is no longer there.

    Also, at this time as I understand it 2000AD was going for more fan-favourite creators e.g Alan Moore types, and GFD is more one of the old-school comic creators.

    Just wanted to also point out that from Prog 493, Judge Dredd is now credited to 'Wagner/Grant' rather than the pseudonym 'TB Grover' as it had been since ... oh, before prog 200 i think. I think by this time i had realised TBGrover was a pen-name, but for many years i thought there was a real comics writer called that and didn't know who John Wagner was.

    By Blogger Simon C, at 6:44 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home