<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Thursday, May 08, 2008

Prog 484


This prog's notable first is the Future Shock, Blood Sport, written by Jamie Delano. Delano isn't a script robot that I associate with 2000 AD even though he goes on to write at least one regular strip that I can think of. At this time, I saw him as the only writer brave enough to follow Alan Moore on his runs (I'm thinking of Night Raven and Captain Britain specifically) and, consequently, his work often seemed disappointing to me. Obviously, a little later, he took over from Moore as the principal writer of John Constantine for DC comics and he did a totally memorable job there.


Blood Sport is slightly too densely packed to be a memorable debut for Delano. However, it benefits immensely by the art being drawn by David Pugh. It seems unfair that Pugh has been side stepped from Slaine thanks to the popularity of Glen Fabry when his work is this good.


Art robot Barry Kitson seems to be producing quite a bit of work for 2000 AD recently. This prog, he draws the Judge Dredd story The Fists of Stan Lee. At this time, he struck me as being not much better than an enthusiastic fan. However, encountering his work from this period again for The Slog I find myself impressed at how quickly he is improving. Kitson is great at the action stuff and at maintaining the story's momentum. Whenever I've encountered his art work since, I am always surprised on how much better it looks since the last time I saw it. Either that or I have a really bad memory.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

  • Kitson's work always reminded me of Dave Harwood's stuff (2000ad's second Dan Dare annual, and numerous strips for BEM fanzine etc).

    Well-intentioned, tightly delineated, 'neat' but lacking aplomb.

    By Blogger Ken Davidson, at 1:06 pm  

  • David Pugh is incredibly under-rated. His work on Slaine easily outclassed Fabry (just too static for my taste)and was up there with Bellardinelli for weirdness. His rendition of the Battle of Clontarf is still just about my favourite 2000ad sequence ever. And I liked him doing Dan Dare too. More Pugh!

    By Blogger Amanda, at 4:27 pm  

  • I like Kitsons early work. He's a solid artist. Not spectacular...but a decent storyteller. I loved the 'Fists of Stan Lee' story...especially the sequel.

    I think this is the first story that Dredd gets his ass handed to him man to man.

    By Blogger Stephen Reid, at 3:07 pm  

  • Ken, I just about remember Dave harwood. Didn't do some work for Harrier Comics in the eighties?

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 12:10 pm  

  • Amanda, I agree with you - Pugh's work was great.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 12:11 pm  

  • Stephen, I remember feeling slightly disappointed by this tale. As if all Wagner and Grant could think of was "Dredd has a fight". I liked it this time, though.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 12:13 pm  

  • I even have fond memories of The Art of Geomancy: the follow up with Stan Lee's sister or daughter or mum or whoever she was.

    Pugh was good, but it seemed he was brought onto Slaine to deliberately ape Fabry whose version is the definitive one round my manor.

    By Blogger Peter, at 12:45 pm  

  • I don't know the circumstances under which Fabry and Pugh got their Slaine gigs originally but it seemed to me like they had equal billing. Fabry's art won out in the end but I guess if anyone's Slaine was being aped by Pugh it was Bellardnelli's just for the hair style. Thanks Peter.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:31 pm  

  • Hi Paul,
    yes Mr Harwood went on to the Harrier Comics thing. I'm sorry to say though I'd never any desire to follow his work - did it develop at all?

    By Blogger Ken Davidson, at 9:25 am  

  • I can't really say because I didn't hang around long on the comic he was drawing.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 7:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home