<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Saturday, May 03, 2008

Prog 479


ITEM: In the current ACE Trucking Co story, Ace, Ace, Cap’n Blood (this universe's version of Cap'n Guts) and Feek the Freak have travelled to Earth in search of some treasure. Despite the exitance of earthman Jago Kain in earlier stories, it's still a surprise to me to see Earth make an appearance in this thrill. Nearly as unexpected as, say, Earth popping up in Star Wars.


ITEM: I don't remember, first time around, script robot Grant Morrison writing as many Future Shocks as I've read by him recently for The Slog. In fact, I only remember one, just about, and I haven't encountered that one again yet. Presuming, in this case, that he is responsible for a good run of them, I'm surprised that Rebellion, the current owners of 2000 AD, haven't collected them together in a single volume yet especially given his popularity in recent years. Maybe there is a minimum amount of pages required to qualify as a legitimate trade collection and Morrison doesn’t quite meet it.


ITEM: Judge Dredd The Art of Kenny Who? concludes this prog. Comic artist Kenny from a remote part of Scotland sells his hab to finance a trip to Big 1 Publishing in Mega City One in search of a drawing gig. However, after a disconcerting encounter with Dredd in customs, Kenny has his entire art style sampled and stolen by the corrupt publisher. My understanding is that this tale, which goes on to inspire a number of sequels over the following years, started out as a satire of this tale's artist Cam Kennedy's experiences trying to secure work in America. I'm presuming Kennedy was told by one of the big publishers that they liked his style but they could get one of their America based, cheaper artists to draw that way if they wanted.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • I'd say that Rebellion would be reluctant to publish a Grant Morrison shorts collection in case he pulled another ZENITH on them.

    By Blogger Mark, at 10:56 pm  

  • They've been reprinting a fair bundle of Morrison's one off stories in the Extreme Editions lately. A publication I think you needn't bother with since you're reading all the original Progs anyway!

    (we've just suffered 6 months of Mean Arena...)

    I always had a soft spot for the Garpetbaggers, but I think it was a bit too long. Has the brief cameo by Sylvester Stallone happened yet? If only Wagner and Grant had known what was to come they might have been even meaner to him.

    By Blogger alexf, at 3:38 pm  

  • Mark, what was Morrison's objection? I read once that Titan's warehouse has boxes of Zenith they aren't allowed to sell.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:58 pm  

  • Alex, yeah, Sly has appeared. I might be on my own here but, as bad as he was in the Dredd movie, I don't actually believe that he was the biggest problem with it...

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 7:00 pm  

  • I've also been waiting ages for some mention of Mozza on this blog, since (sad to report), Zenith was the only 2000th strip I ever took to. (If they ever did get around to letting those trades out of the warehouse, I'd buy 'em... as it is, I have to stick with reading my PC version. Reading comics on PC is wrong... it hurts my eyes.)

    By Blogger Rol, at 2:14 pm  

  • Rol, it's preferable to reading the horrible American reprints they did. Yuk!

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home