<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Prog 447


Slaine returns this prog (yay!) far sooner than I had expected. The cast spend this episode deciding what to do about the awakening Dark God, Grimnismal, and The Cythron Girl. The Cythron Girl spent the end of the last Slaine run parading around with Nest on a lead and referring to her as a sow to be experimented on. Now she is pleading for her life saying "I can help you" to which Slaine replies, "How? By killing yourself?". All I feel able to contribute to this debate is, great body, shame about the face.


Slaine returns with extras; a role playing game, instructions for which are going to be serialised along side the strip over the coming weeks. Role playing games have never been my thing and at this time, in 1985, I can say with almost complete confidence that I despised them. This is because during the sixth form, I managed to strike up a conversation with a girl in my year that I fancied when it was interrupted by a roll playing game obsessive I knew telling us that the previous night he had stepped on an elf's eyes. "One went squelch and the other went pop." She ended up going out with an older boy called "Paul Rainbow". Anyway, I'm normally very happy to read anything that appears in 2000 AD for The Slog but, on this occasion, I hope you don't mind if I skip this bit.


Meanwhile, this prog's episode of Mean Team ends after only three pages with an announcement that it will return in the Spring. As a thrill, it's not fallen into place yet while Bellardineli's art looks hurried compared to usual. I think he, with Wagner and Grant, have decided to do another ACE Trucking Co story instead which seems a better use of everyone's time. We have seen in the thrill, however, an appearance by a puppet as a sports commentator which, in case you didn't know, turns out to be an early version of the Bat Man villain Wagner and Grant go on to create, Scarface and The Ventriloquist.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

  • Hi Paul - you've been hit by spam again. I recommend switching on the anti-spam measures in blogger's control panel (random character recognition I think).

    By Blogger Ken Davidson, at 7:24 pm  

  • Paul: See that wee bin by the comment when you're on this page and logged on? Click on it.

    And to quote another great British comic of this period: The Cythron Girl was a B.O.B.F.O.C. - Body Off Baywatch, Face Off Crimewatch.

    By Blogger Mark, at 7:43 pm  

  • Done, Ken. Goodbye spam.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:49 pm  

  • Cheers, Mark. Hopefully that's done the job.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:50 pm  

  • Garagemen, he was real, all right. I'll remove the "rabit ears"...

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:51 pm  

  • Mark - thanks for the BOBFOC. Hadn't heard that one before.

    I am now intent on shoe-horning it into every conversation I have for the next six months, claiming it to be my own invention.

    By Blogger Stavros, at 12:49 pm  

  • As for the role-playing stuff, it was a warm-up for Pat Mills' abortive 'Diceman' comic.

    I've still got most of them in amongst my old progs. I kept thinking that one day they'd be worth something. Still waiting.

    By Blogger Stavros, at 12:51 pm  

  • For some reason, I kept ahold of my copies of Diceman over the years despite getting rid of my 2000 AD's etc. Curiosity value, I guess.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 3:40 pm  

  • Possibly because they were(understandably) unread and it therefore seemed a shame to bin them?

    By Blogger Stavros, at 6:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home