<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Monday, March 24, 2008

Prog 443


Sam Slade Robo-Hunter Farewell my Billions ends this prog. After fifty years spent in rehab, Sam is an old man again and on the hunt for Hoagy and Stogie, his two idiot droids who are gambling away his 27 billion credits in savings. The story ends with Sam having no choice but to go back into the robo-hunting business and Hoagy and Stogie for sale in a second hand shop.

If my memory is correct (here we go again), this is the last Robo-Hunter story from the classic era. After Farewell my Billions we don’t see Sam again until he returns written by Mark Millar several years later. Every 2000 AD reader of my age has an opinion on these stories but, of course, I’m not going to express mine until I encounter them again during The Slog later.

In Judge Dredd Death of a Politician, Mayor Dave the Orang-Utan and his owner, Billy Smairt, are stabbed to death by assassins outside their favourite bar, Salmonella’s. As you know, I loved the story Portrait of a Politician where Dave became mayor and now, here he is, lying dead in the street with a knife in his back. It was a tragedy the first time I read it and it’s a tragedy again. I haven’t anything more to say on the matter other than I didn’t want Dave and Billy’s deaths to pass by without them being commemorated.

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

  • On your decision to withold comment regarding Mark Millar's Robo-Hunter stories (until their appearance in The Slog), I agree wholeheartedly.

    I too will refrain from referring to them as 'shit' until the appropriate juncture.

    By Blogger Stavros, at 2:06 pm  

  • Well done on the self control there, Stavros :-)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:03 pm  

  • Robo-hunter was my all-time favourite when i was first reading these issues - especially the stories when he arrived in Brit-Cit. This coming-out-of-retirement story was a bit tired.

    i wrote a summary of Robo-Hunter for a Comics website, hardly mentioning the Miller stories. See what you think:
    http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/ComicInformationPages/TemplateCharacterStory.asp?ComicTitle=2000AD&CharStoryName=RoboHunter&ReturnPage=CharStory

    I also did the Judge Dredd profile on the same site. Paul why don't you do some more for them? I know they're looking for help. its a pretty good site too:
    http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/

    By Blogger Simon C, at 5:32 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home