<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Prog 420

Since his return to 2000 AD several weeks ago, Slaine has been performing missions up and down history which involves him fighting creatures from timelines that exist between our moments. Already he's led the Celtic Forces in battle against the Viking Army led by the changling Elfric, fought the time worm Crom Cruach and chopped up some El women who, upon their deaths, reverted back to their true slug-like forms. Yuk. Watching all of this on a big, Star Ship Enterprise styled screen from the Time Fortress are Ukko the Dwarf, Nest, Myrddin a.k.a. Merlin the magician-in-a-body-stocking and a bunch of other guys wearing crazy masks.



If from the above you think I understand what is going on then I'm afraid to admit that this isn't always the case. On Slaine's returned, script robot Pat Mills has decided to add a significant amount of new concept to the thrill turning it from an accessible but well researched sword and sorcery strip into, well, some kind of surrealist's ride on a runaway school bus. I'm reading a couple of episodes a day for The Slog and I find myself still occasionally scratching my head and trying to work out what's going on. How did we manage a week between episodes first time around? Bizarrely, the thrill that needs it the most has decided to dispense with recapping the story so far altogether. Even my memory isn't so bad that I usually forget what I have read earlier that day but I was relying on the recap giving me some sort of confirmation that what I think is happening is what is supposed to be happening.


Interestingly to me, the themes being dealt with here are similar to those that Grant Morrison and Alan Moore deal with later in The Invisibles, Seven Soldiers and Promethea. In 1985, 2000 AD is still thought of as a comic for boys available for them or their parents to buy for them from most newsagents in the country to read and throw away later. It is not a high production limited series by well paid creators that, let's face it, is produced with the intention to be kept in print for decades to come.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • I love Glenn Fabry's work on this series. Pugh isn't bad, but when Fabry shows up, everything ratchets up a notch, you know?

    By Blogger Grant, at 7:39 pm  

  • Grant, I hope to comment on the art in an entry before this run finishes...

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:30 pm  

  • I suspect the tendency toward recap-less stories was/is a financial imperative.

    By this stage in 2000ad's history re-prints were beginning to make money and (as I think you'll find as The Slog goes on) many stories became less-suited to the weekly nature of the comic and more focussed on anthology sales.

    It's one of the reasons I stopped buying it.

    By Blogger Stavros, at 2:32 pm  

  • Stavros, at this stage, they were still producing strips specific to the weekly. I suspect that the opinion of some creators that recapping was unnecessary had more to do with it. Helltrekkers, which finished only recently, however, had lots of recapping going on.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 7:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home