<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Prog 414

Halo Jones Book Two approaches its end after a very satisfying run. I find myself thinking that anything I write about this thrill is a bit like saying to someone who has had their long hair shaved off, "Oh, you've had a haircut." It is so obviously brilliant that anyone who says different is just showing off and doesn't actually think that.

For Book Two, Halo has been working aboard luxury space liner, The Clara Pandy, on board of which she has developed a friendship with the ship's navigator who is a dolphin, discovered that The President is five rats tied together at the tail, made friends, somehow, with Glyph, the girl/boy no one notices is there and learned that Toby, her mechanical dog, killed her friend from Book One, Brinna. I found this revelation, first time around, so amazing that I immediately re-read Book One which previously, as I've mentioned here before, I had misjudged.

It makes sense that Toby would be exposed as the bad guy of the thrill. For Book One of this female driven story, it could be argued that he served the role as the character nearest to male that us boys’ comic readers could relate to. As you should know, the default gender for robots is male, so he served as the failsafe character in case we all went loopy at the absence of men. By Book Two, it was clear to everyone that Halo, Toy and the rest are more than enough to drive the thrill and therefore why not dump the failsafe altogether. Sorry, Toby.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • Plus, there's a candidate for the Gibson droid's best ever cover.

    By Blogger Mark, at 8:34 pm  

  • Yeah, Gibson's on a roll at the moment.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:59 pm  

  • h

    By Blogger Simon C, at 6:56 am  

  • My predominant adolescent memories of Halo Jones Book Two, which was a fantastic story, were Gibson's drawings of Halo in a very revealing waitressing outfit that out-Psylocked Psylocke in the arse covering stakes. Hey, I couldn't get a girlfriend so I'm grateful to Gibson for giving me somewhere to let out my heterosexual passions.

    By Blogger dmstarz, at 4:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home