<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Prog 374


Why I stayed in love with 2000 AD at around this time is a bit of a mystery to me which is daft as I should know because I was there. We’ve only just come out of a four week run of Judge Dredd stories drawn by Kim Raymond with this prog while, for the last few issues, ever since DR and Quinch and Slaine finished, we’ve been experiencing a high density of fillers. In this prog alone there are three Future Shocks. Admittedly, one is labelled “Time Twister” and another goes simply by its story name alone but these are still Future Shocks with pseudonyms in my eyes. Further padding has been provided by reoccurring pages of reader’s art. I find enthusiastic drawings of Kojak dressed as Tharg (“who loves ya, Earthlet?”) and Judge Phantom Flanflinger as entertaining as the next Squaxx dek Thargo but, really, there is a limit. Keep the reader-art-chuckles to the Nerve Centre, that’s what I say.

The “Future Shocks” haven’t been all bad. Alan Hebden and Pete Milligan (back after a long break since his premier in prog 216) have written some entertaining yarns while John Casanovas and the currently regular-thrill-less Massimo Bellardinelli provide some eye popping artwork but there are only so many stories with twists that I can take in a single comic. I advise limiting the “Future Shock” to no more than one an issue from now on.

It doesn’t make sense to me now that I stayed with the comic during this dreary period when I didn’t last very long after the circuit blowing prog 335 re-launch featuring Nemesis the Warlock, Slaine and the return of Strontium Dog. All I can think is that I must have read about the start of the new thrill written by Alan Moore, The Ballard of Halo Jones, a promotional pin-up of which appears on the back cover, and had decided to wait around for it for it.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

  • Paul, I can understand your wondering why you stuck with 2000AD at this time. It was here that I stopped reading it. Not even the promise of Halo Jones was enough to keep me. I came back at around prog 470 two years later. And I got the back issues which i'm now re-reading.

    By Blogger Simon C, at 2:33 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home