<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Prog 350


Nearly seven years after buying the first issue and flirting with the comic occasionally since, with this prog I become a loyal Squaxx Dek Thargo. Regular readers of The Slog won’t be surprised to learn that it was the Alan Moore and Alan Davis thrill, DR and Quinch, that reeled me in again but this time I didn’t go away for at least ten years. In fact, inside a month, I would say that I totally fell in love with 2000 AD.

It was a bit like falling for the girl you had known all through secondary school on the last day of sixth form. Suddenly I noticed the wit of Judge Dredd, the beauty of McMahon’s Slaine and the heart of Strontium Dog. In fact, although attracted to 2000 AD on this occasion by the high profile Alans, I noticed now that its real beauty lay in the thrills and creators that I had previously taken for granted.

Take for example this prog’s Judge Dredd tale, Pieromania. In it, Dredd has a custard-substitute pie thrown into his face on live television which leads to a city wide craze of pie throwing. It reads like a tightly written, brilliantly timed political satire that manages to be completely entertaining. If I can feel this way about a comic where the lead thrill is drawn by the less than glamorous Kim Raymond then, surely, it must be love.

I was already fed up with Warrior, where I had discovered the work of Alan Moore and which, early on, had been described unfairly as the “2000 AD for grown-ups”. Its frequency was unreliable, its ad count too big and its price relatively high. 2000 AD, however, was witty, self-deprecating, well written, well drawn and, at 20p, fantastic value for money. The only upsetting thing for me was I had wasted seven years on comics like Warrior and garish import American comics instead of on the real deal. I’m sorry, Tharg.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

  • I only found Warrior long after it had ended, but I can't imagine trying to follow it, what with the sporadic release schedule and series which just stop on cliffhangers. On the other hand, that was one fantastic letters page, wasn't it?

    By Blogger Grant, at 8:11 pm  

  • As much as I loved WARRIOR at the time, and see it as still important historically in the evolution of yer anglophone comics, I remember having the same feelings of disillusionment as the key creators started dropping away one by one, and more and more filler started clogging it.

    By Blogger Mark, at 10:45 pm  

  • Grant, I don't like to talk about the letters page. I was only fourteen!!!

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:58 pm  

  • Mark, Warrior does have an historical important but I do think that a myth has grown around it that needs defalitng a little.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:01 pm  

  • Oooh, look at this in Warrior 9. Hee hee!

    By Blogger Grant, at 12:05 am  

  • Damn you, Grant!!!

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 7:23 pm  

  • I must confess to not warming to DR and Quinch immediately. Not really sure exactly why but possibly the same as with Halo Jones - both stories were (unusually for a sci-fi comic, perhaps) completely unlike anything that had come before and it took a while to pick up the jist. By the time the Marlon Brando pastiche came along though, I was sold.

    By Blogger dmstarz, at 5:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home