<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Friday, January 04, 2008

Prog 348


Just when I feel safe that the festive season is now a fading memory, The Slog reaches Christmas 1983. Fortunately, the seasonal theme starts with the cover and ends with Tharg’s editorial on page two.

Book III of Nemesis the Warlock approaches its finale. Sir Hargan and his evil, human assassins close in on Nemesis’ mate, Chira. She puts up one hell of a ferocious fight but her murder next prog seems inevitable. Is this because I remember reading it first time around, in my case in the Eagle Comics US shaped reprints, or because 2000 AD is so determined to avoid sentimentality that it’s completely prepared to drag out the murder of a thrill’s hero’s wife over several episodes?

Here’s another question; have I been so spoiled by Alan Moore’s finely crafted Future Shocks recently that Alan Grant’s current tales now seem as if they have been hacked out? In this prog’s Time Twisters, unnamed in the comic but titled Joggers according to http://www.2000adonline.com/, a series of bizarre events occur around the invention of a time machine. The story reads like it’s been beamed directly from Grant’s consciousness. I wonder if Grant, when tasked by Tharg to write this Time Twister, asked how long it should be and received the response, “Oh, I don’t know. Just keep writing and I’ll tell you when to stop.” At the end of Joggers, if indeed that is its name, the machine’s inventor, a journalist and two police men from the future have been stripped down to the underwear and lost their memories. The conclusion that they reach together is that, dressed as they are, they must all be joggers and the final panel sees them out for a run. Do you think that it’s safe for me to assume that Grant often forgot his gym kit when he went to school and now associates physical exercise with his vest and pants?

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • I find Jogger's quite an enjoyable one-off, better than a lot of the predictable twists of many of these tales. Sure, it doesn't have the profoundness of Moore's tales but it has a bit of the humour.

    I think the clue to Grant's influence for the strip -pun intended- can be fond on the third page when the cop says "Time Bandits warping in!". Grant may have wanted to tap the absurdist humour of Gilliam's magnificent early 80's film.

    By Blogger garageman, at 1:16 am  

  • Garageman, you're probably right. My phrase "hacked out" might be slightly inappropriate. I would rather have this type of Future Shock to many of the plodding ones which I remember are to come in The Slog. I didn't not enjoy The Joggers, I was just baffled by where it was coming from a bit.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 12:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home