<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Prog 344


Regular readers of this blog will know that I often get myself into a muddle when it comes to understanding who does what and why when it comes to 2000 AD creator pen names. Usually, art robot Ian Gibson is credited using his real name but occasionally he is also referred to as Emberton and, less frequently, as Twerk. When I mentioned this before in The Slog I was told that Gibson tended to use Emberton on work that he was less proud of.

The current Dredd story, Rumble in the Jungle, sees various Mega City One gangs converge in a sector for a big fight. After a long run of Robo-Hunter stories, Gibson seems to be enjoying the opportunity to work on something else, the art is filled with detail and activity, or so I thought until I notice that the work is credited to Emberton. Surely, Gibson can’t be embarrassed by his work here when it looks to me to be much better than some of his art towards the end of his recent period drawing Sam Slade.

I wonder if Gibson uses a pseudonym when he draws a character or thrill Tharg dishes out to various art robots. For example, I’ve noticed that he has used ‘Twerk’ when drawing Future Shocks, a thrill that could be drawn by any artist. Does Gibson reserve his real name for stories that are to be thought of as belonging to him such as Robo-Hunter and Halo Jones?

Labels: , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

  • Querk? In my memory, befuddled as it is, I remember that pen-name as Q. Twerk, which I took to mean "queue to work", it being the eighties and all.

    Of course, whether that means he was saying he was doing it for the money only, or just making a bold stand against the Thatcher Government, I don't know.

    By Blogger Douglas, at 8:52 pm  

  • Pudendum: genitals, esp. of women.
    Erm, pseudonym?

    By Blogger mat_tait, at 6:03 am  

  • Douglas, you're right. Blog entry corrected. Cheers, mate!

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:04 pm  

  • Mat, arghh!!! Damn spell check! Thing is, I'm sure this isn't the first time that I've made that mistake with "pseudonym". Cheers, mate. Error corrected.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:06 pm  

  • QT work, i.e. he wasn't planning to declare this on his income tax return?!

    By Blogger Peter, at 8:37 pm  

  • I thought it meant Cute Work!

    By Blogger Tam, at 11:31 am  

  • I thought 'pudendum' had become a Prog-Slog in-joke. I like it.

    By Blogger Stavros, at 1:42 pm  

  • I'm with Tam. I'm pretty sure Q Twerk is cute work.

    By Blogger dmstarz, at 5:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home