<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Monday, December 24, 2007

Prog 342


This prog’s notable first is Cam Kennedy drawing Judge Dredd. Well, as far as I remember, anyway. In The Suspect, Dredd leans on John Kilroy Henders after learning that his spending exceeds his income. Henders manages to beat the interrogation but is later exposed as having three jobs. In these times of high unemployment, having more then one job is a serious offence. In his defence, Henders says, “I just love working, I guess”. Any sympathy I might have had for this guy is thrown out of the window when he says this line. Chuck him into the cubes, Dredd, and throw away the key.

The particularly grim Strontium Dog story, The Moses Incident, continues. Johnny and Wulf have taken the corpse of young Moses Quest to The Isalnd of the Living Dead in the hope that his corpse can be resurrected. Johnny feels responsible for the boy’s death after he was caught in the cross fire between him and his bounty earlier in the story. I would have thought that after a long absence, returning with an upbeat Strontium Dog tale would be more appropriate.

Since the beginning of Book III, Nemesis the Warlock has been occupying the coveted colour centre spread normally occupied by Judge Dredd. Art robot Kevin O’Neill has been rewarding us with some stunning artwork. This prog, it’s an amazing double paged illustration of the imperial flag robot, Torque-Armada. The detail and design are just stunning. His feet are like sailing ships on wheels. Cannons fire from out of his knees, chest and nostrils. Tiny people run around powering the giant bastard. I could look at it for hours.

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

  • Cam was/is a great Dredd artist, but I think his best work on the character is a year or two off yet.

    By Blogger Mark, at 9:52 pm  

  • I agree Mark. Although he is wearing his McMahon influences on his sleeve a bit.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 12:30 pm  

  • Cam's recent Dredd's, while excellently drawn as strips, contain a version of Dredd that looks way too jowly and chubby in the face. Cam's younger Joe looked much better, Dredd, if anything, should look more hardened as he gets older.

    By Blogger garageman, at 4:26 pm  

  • I got volume 9 of the Dredd Case Files at Christmas and it opens with The Midnight Surfer. One of my all-time fave Dredd stories and, I'd say, the best thing Cam's ever drawn.

    And I agree about the awesomeness of Torque-Armada.

    By Blogger Peter, at 6:37 pm  

  • Garageman, I haven't seen much of Kennedy's more recent Dredd. On the few occasions that I see his more recent work, I'm always pleased to see it. I think that his art style in general might be a bit looser these days which might account for the chubby face, I wonder.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 1:23 pm  

  • Peter, Midnight Surfer is a sweet combination of art and story, no mistake.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 1:24 pm  

  • Gosh - the Moses Incident was grim stuff. But in a good way. I loved the way that they didn't belittle the child's death - ie he isn't resurrected at the end. It's bleak stuff but highly recommended.

    By Blogger dmstarz, at 5:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home