<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Monday, December 17, 2007

Prog 333


In Requiem for a Fatty, Judge Dredd is investigating the death of Pudge Dempsey after he was found with a bedstead lodged inside his abdomen. After finding apatite enhancers near to the body, Dredd begins an investigation which leads him all the way to the World Heavyweight Eating Championships. Meanwhile, the victim’s managers, Charley and Limpy, have found a replacement for him, Arnold Stodgman, and have only a week to train him up for the competition.

Potential contenders get referred to as “prime pork”. Thousands of fatties are tricked into a stampede as a distraction from an escape when they are told that a free feast waits for them. Arnold moves so slowly during his escape from Frank Cannon Block that its quicker for Charley and Limpy to trip him onto his side and roll him into the getaway van. There’s nothing quite as entertaining as a Judge Dredd fatty tale, particularly one drawn by Ron Smith or, as on this occasion, Carlos Ezquerra.

I’m supposing that the writing partnership of John Wagner and Alan Grant works like this; together they come up with the story and how it unfolds, having a big laugh in the process, then, separately, they write up the scripts. So, for example, Grant might write the script for Robo-Hunter whereas Wagner does the job for ACE Trucking Co. In the case of Requiem for a Fatty, I suspect that Wagner did the scripting work for this line alone; “Full arm sink!”. Charley and Limpy are performing a physical examination of Arnold. Charley pushes his arm into his stomach and finds that it disappears up to his shoulder whereupon he excitedly exclaims the line of the story. “Full arm sink”. In what other context could a line like that be so funny let alone make sense?

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • http://community.livejournal.com/scans_daily/4480577.html

    :)

    By Blogger Drhoz, at 10:31 pm  

  • Nice one, drhoz. Seeing it again makes me happy.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:43 pm  

  • it's a classic :)

    By Blogger Drhoz, at 10:21 am  

  • This is an important issue for me because, after about six years not reading 2000AD, this was the first issue I picked up. Why so long? After picking up most of the first 22 issues, my dad banned it because I was having lots of nightmares and they were directly related to the comic (He knew because of what I told him I had been dreaming and what he had read of the comic himself.) Remember I was only 6 when 2000AD came out. Finally, I asked my dad if it was okay to buy 2000AD again with this issue, when I was 13 and at this stage he told me that it was up to me to do what I wanted. So I'm on board now for the next nearly 300 issues.

    By Blogger dmstarz, at 4:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home