<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Prog 330


I would have to be blind folded or reading a copy with the first eight pages missing not to notice this prog’s notable first; Slaine! Of course, it makes an impressive start as you would expect from a thrill written by Pat Mills. When creating a new strip, Mills seems to fully conceptualise it before releasing it to the masses in neat, little six paged chunks. Angie Mills is the artist who, as far as I know, draws this opening episode and never returns to it again. Under normal circumstances, an artist this strong disappearing from a thrill would be a tragedy except I know how great some of the art is to come.

The final page of this prog’s Rogue Trooper story occupies the back cover. Normally, in these circumstances, it would be in colour, but here it remains in black and white. I’m supposing that this is because the colour has been reserved for the map of Britain accompanying the Slaine strip. I’m one of those people who suffer from diagram blindness and I find maps of fictional places, normally, a good indicator that the associated piece isn’t for me. It’s a good job that I read and enjoyed the first Slaine story before spotting it.

Skizz finishes this prog with Cornelius throwing Van Owen off of Spaghetti Junction and all the good, ol’ working class people saying goodbye to their favourite alien. If there’s one important lesson to be learned from this thrill it’s that Brummies are people too just like you and me. I shed a little tear every time I watch ET and I shed a little tear reading the final part of Skizz too. It’s been emotional. Actually, associations with ET are easy but this thrill maintained a voice all its own. I find myself wishing for more and then I remember, oh yes, um, there is.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • I read somewhere that Angie Mills was (and may well still be) Pat's wife and he insisted she get to draw the first story, but it took her the best part of a year. This may, of course, be a load of rubbish.

    Anyway, I'd dabbled with 2000AD before but given up in the early 300s because of the unrealiability of my country newsagent. This was the Prog that started me buying it again once I found a more secure supplier. I've always been fond of Slaine because of that.

    By Blogger Peter, at 1:29 pm  

  • Peter, yes she was Pat Mills' wife at the time. She illustrates children's books these days under her current name which I can't remember right now. The 300s are a good age for 2000 AD as well.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 8:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home