<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Prog 300


Although not a regular reader of 2000 AD at this point, my purchasing of it was increasing gradually from once every few months to once every few weeks. I certainly picked up a copy of this prog due to, perhaps, the free gift. To celebrate three hundred issues, Tharg gave us is a replica Judge Dredd badge.

My memory of the badge is that it was pretty good and looked exactly like the one Dredd wears himself in the thrill. Attaching it was a touch problematic as it came with just a not-very-sticky patch for affixing but Tharg advises in the Nerve Centre taping a safety pin to the back instead. Being the eldest of six children, there were plenty of safety pins in the house (they were used to hold nappies in place). I had a jacket that I wore to school often and the badge was fixed to that.

Other comic free gifts that I remember loving were the Captain Britain mask from the first issue, which lasted about two days before tearing during a game of superheroes, the Hook Jaw T-shirt transfer that was in issue two of Action and lasted until I outgrew the top it had been ironed onto, and the bionic fake tattoos that came in 2000 AD prog 2. I went into school with them on and tried to convince all my friends that I had a robot arm. I think they might have believed me had the tattoos not cracked since I had rubbed them on the day before.

Despite being non committal about the Judge Dredd strip at the time, I liked the badge a lot. I wasn’t quite like Linus with his blanket in Peanuts but I felt slightly more assured when I wore that jacket with it on. Then, one morning, I went to put the jacket on and I noticed that there was only a safety pin with a browning piece of seletape attached where the badge once was.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

  • *sympathises with your loss*

    By Blogger Drhoz, at 12:55 pm  

  • Thanks drhoz, but it was a long time ago...

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:44 pm  

  • Bionic? I'll give you bionic:
    When I was seven years old, I stuffed a cracked-open transistor radio down the front of my trousers to convince my pals that I'd somehow been rebuilt by the CIA after a near-death test flight crash.

    I'm STILL embarrassed at the memory.

    The bionic cock's great though!

    By Blogger Stavros, at 8:12 am  

  • Stavros, I don't want to know what you see when you pull the skin back on that.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 1:14 pm  

  • something like this, presumably.

    http://www.r-type.org/pics/aaa0171a.jpg


    Or that Weapon X comic with Wolverine apparently wired up to a car radio, crotchwise.

    By Blogger Drhoz, at 3:20 am  

  • Ha ha. Drhoz, I was worried about what I would see for a moment.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:36 pm  

  • *grins* i'm evil, that way

    By Blogger Drhoz, at 11:53 pm  

  • TRUE STORY: When I was a nipper I copied a future shock story (complete with all of the dialogue) and reproduced it as my own for a piece of homework for my English class.

    Unfortunately the speccy supply teacher who marked the work turned out to be a avid 2000ad reader. He stuck the Judge Dredd badge on my work and wrote LAWBREAKER YOU ARE SENTENCED TO ONE HOUR'S DETENTION right across the story.

    The sight of that badge still brings me out in a sweat.

    By Blogger Dom Sutton, at 3:51 pm  

  • Dom, sounds like you speccy supply teacher had a keen sense of humour :-)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home