<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Prog 293


There’s a bit of a games theme going on this prog. Loyal Squaxx De Thargo can win an Intellivsion Master Component while Ro-Jaws reviews Tron (this is what the garbage droid has to resort to now that there are no new Ro-Busters thrills being made; film reviews). Apparently, “a feast for the optic circuits”. Also, in addition to starring in two new books from Titan (man, they’re banging out those collections now), Judge Dredd now has his own board game from Games Workshop, according to ads.

Although at this point in time I wasn’t reading 2000 AD and owned only a tiny pile of back progs, I somehow ended up with a copy of the Judge Dredd board game. I don’t remember how this came about as I’ve never been into role playing, computer or board games. The problem with games is that they require someone to read the instructions and, if you are the owner, then it was your responsibly to do this. I do remember, however, loving the package, from the Brian Bolland drawn box to the Ian Gibson designed board. I remember just pouring through the action cards which referenced episodes of Judge Dredd that I had never seen and thinking how cool all of those stories looked. If only I had stuck with the comic after I had bought prog one in 1977, things would be so different.

I definitely did play the game once, though. A couple of years later, my family had gone away on holiday for the week and I had the house to myself. Somehow, two very attractive girls I knew, one of which I had a significant crush on, came over one evening. I was pretty useless and unprepared, for example I’m certain I hadn’t got any booze in, and all I could think to do was to play the Judge Dredd board game with them. I think I thought I was being ironic by suggesting it but, of course, I went on to win. What an idiot; I didn’t even suggest that we play strip Judge Dredd the Board Game. I remember thinking later that they didn’t stay for nearly as long as I expected them to.

So, in summary; Judge Dredd the Board Game equals regret.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

  • You know the new megazine story, the one that has a massive go at nerds and calls them all jerks (despite comics fans largely being one kind of nerd or another, I know I am) that story was both wrong in it’s characterisation of nerds (having them all being the comic book guy form the Simpson’s) and missed the point entirely. Nerds are basically normal people who make fairly unfortunate decisions from time to time. why is it reading comics and successfully communicating with women as a teenager/young man are completely incompatible?

    By Blogger Steven, at 10:42 pm  

  • Steven, I haven't read the Megazine for years so I don't know the story that you're refering to. I agree with you though. The Fat Comic Book Guy has turned into a lazy steriotype (which the new episode being broadcast tonight in America featuring the voices of Alan Moore and Art Spiegleman might go some way to regress... but might not). I don't associate reading comics as a young man with being awkward around young women occasionally - isn't that normal?

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:36 pm  

  • People become nerds by default. Any one can read comics of play role playing games but if you add awkward with women and bad hair bad clothes and any of the other knock on effects you get classed as a geek or nerd (at least that’s what happened to me). If you were a nerd at the time chances are you wouldn’t have had girls round your house. For some people the breakfast club reminds them of being a teenager, your Blog reminded me so I just had to say well done and well written.

    By Blogger Steven, at 8:25 pm  

  • Cheers Steven. Personally, I think we're all nerds :-)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:21 pm  

  • I've still got the JD Board Game somewhere, including the expansion pack, and, if I'm not mistaken, some sort of Rogue Trooper game. I don't think I've ever played any of them.

    By Blogger Andrew Cheverton, at 5:33 pm  

  • Bring it with you next time I see you Chev, we can have a game.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 8:33 pm  

  • still got it + Block Wars. Excellent games

    By Blogger Dom Sutton, at 3:52 pm  

  • Dom, no idea what happened to my copy. Probably got over handled to death.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:02 pm  

  • I played the Judge Dredd game quite a few times and had a fair amount of fun with it. But as you say, the best bit was looking through the cards and thinking "man, I wish I had the back progs with those cool-looking episodes in".
    Dice Man was by far the best 2000 AD game - which I guess you'll get to in due course.
    Love the blog, one day soon I'll catch up to your new posts!

    By Blogger alexf, at 4:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home