<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Monday, November 05, 2007

Prog 275


Sometimes, I enjoy The Slog so much that I forget that the comics I’m reading were originally published twenty five years ago. On these occasions, a cultural reference might occur that can bring me out of the moment with a bit of a jolt. For example, in this prog, I learn in Robo-Hunter that Brit Cit’s most popular soap opera is Space Family Ogden while in The Mean Arena, The Slayers have a player called George Roper. The Ogdens and George Roper seem like house names from so long ago, so how can these 2000 AD stories feel so recent to me? It’s moments like this that remind me of how much of The Slog stretches out before me.

I was looking forward to announcing with this entry that I had reached the quarter way point but a sort out at home yesterday revealed that The Slog is due to finish with prog 1188 and not 1100 as I had originally stated. I wouldn’t mind so much if those extra eighty eight issues came from the age of 2000 AD that I am currently at but the thought of having to read an additional eighteen months worth from the late nineties makes me feel a bit depressed.

I’ve also been wondering recently if I should include The Megazine as part of The Slog. I still have volume one from when it was first published and thought I would re-read that but should I also include volumes two and three? After all, they were published during the period of time that The Slog is supposed to cover. My problem is that memory tells me that these aren’t particularly good issues over all and the prospect of adding an extra one hundred plus below par comics to the project fills me with woe. My dilemma is, because I read Star Lord, due to it contributing significantly to the culture of 2000 AD, and all associated annuals, then logic must dictate that I should also include The Megazine. What do you think?

Labels: , , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

  • Oh, and don't forget Diceman, either!

    Personally, I think you should go with the Meg issues when you get there, though they started appearing at the same time as what, issue 700? Your memory may be playing tricks, too - there's always at least one good thing in the first two volumes. It's Meg volume three where things really go tits up.

    By Blogger Douglas, at 8:38 pm  

  • Specifically, it's Meg vol. 3 issue 8!

    By Blogger Grant, at 9:17 pm  

  • Considering The Slog is doomed to end in despair and resignation, why not?

    By Blogger Stavros, at 3:17 pm  

  • Stavros, but why prolong it?

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:11 pm  

  • Grant, what's so bad about that issue?

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:12 pm  

  • Douglas, I think that's what I might do. Volumes one and two but not three. Anyway, it's a long way off just now.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:13 pm  

  • Paul, The Three Amigos and Satan both end in issue 7. After that, there are just occasional interesting stories, but anybody's list of what those are will vary from person to person. Certainly there isn't anything of major import until America II in mid-1997.

    This is the period I'm covering now in Thrillpowered Thursday, and it's really odd, seeing 2000 AD improve from the Millar/Fleischer days of the early 90s with new stuff like V13 and Sin Dex, while the Meg just falls completely apart.

    By Blogger Grant, at 7:53 pm  

  • Well, you did do Starlord but not Tornado so, emm... I don't know. I'd say read Dredd (as that's where Wagner's hiding.)

    I also think that by the time you get to 1188 you'll be wondering at the imminent rebirth of the comic and decide to snap up all the rest too.

    By Blogger Peter, at 10:10 pm  

  • Cheers Grant

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:34 pm  

  • Peter, I'm worried that when I reach the end of The Slog that I will be compulsed to track down the rest. And then get frustrated that they don't publish new progs at the rate that I've been reading the old ones.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home